We have created a new “Gold Standard” for football helmets with the Notre Dame reflective gold particle helmet
– This new shade of gold makes these helmets closer in color to the Golden Dome than any helmets we have worn at Notre Dame
– Tradition of having 23.9 karat gold flake in the paint on the helmet continues
– Gives us a more consistent look from helmet to helmet and week to week
– After exhausting many options we ultimately were forced to decide between continuing the tradition of managers painting helmets and have a subpar helmet or alter the painting process and get a superior helmet. We felt it was more important to get the color right.
– The new paint process is not in the skill set/capabilities of student managers.