That is certainly part of the problem but I think that
by steelhop (2016-02-08 09:51:51)

In reply to: I think it has something to do with teams wanting  posted by tf86

view is generally misplaced. While the games are physical they are no where near the level of football. And, further, most teams carry upward of 45+ players. They should be able to play 2 games a week a couple of times in a season. In fact, if I was a top team, I would want to schedule at least once a year when I play 2 games in 3 days to simulate FF weekend.

One of the other issues is that conference tournaments now take up a weekend that used to be free. In the past, most conferences didn't have tournaments or only a few teams did or conference tournaments were played sporadically or earlier than the last weekend (the ACC did that in the past) and not the weekend before the NCAAs. Now, most conferences have tournaments. That essentially means all the teams need to keep a weekend clear to play in the tournament. Some conferences have worked it out to have the losing team ready to play another team like the ACC did with Penn but most times that means no games for teams that didn't make the tournament.