Possibly the biggest choke I've ever seen from an ND team
by ShermanOaksND (2016-04-23 14:17:34)

In reply to: Words fail me on this gag job. *  posted by jersey44

in any sport. The only one that springs to mind was the 1974 football game against USC. But that choke came in the first 17 minutes of the second half, not the final 5 minutes of the game. Unbelievable, unacceptable.

Men's Basketball blew a lead at MSG against OSU
by MobileIrish  (2016-04-24 10:17:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IIRC, it was Jerian's last game of the season. Eight point lead with 50 seconds to go turned into a crushing loss. I threw my iPad after that one.

Sat right behind Brey and the ND bench for that one....
by Wolfetone  (2016-04-24 10:47:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember Vasturia missing a critical 1 and 1 and a succession
of turnovers.I remember the team coming back back to the bench
during a timeout with their heads down and I remember blurting
out,"Get your heads up for cripes sake".

Maybe Tennessee 1991 or OSU 1995.
by MobileIrish  (2016-04-23 14:37:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The wheels started falling off at the end of the first half against Tennessee. OSU was midway through the third quarter.

I predicted the Tennessee loss at halftime
by ShermanOaksND  (2016-04-23 22:50:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right after we blew a chance to take a 38-7 lead, had to settle for a field goal try, and then had that blocked and returned for a TD (injuring our star kicker in the process). I also had no faith in the Gary Darnell-led defense to hold the 31-14 halftime lead, especially since Tennessee had all the momentum.

The 1995 Ohio State game is not quite in the same league. Our biggest leads were by 10 points (10-0 and 17-7) in the second quarter. It was 17-14 at halftime and 20-14 in the third, before OSU scored two TDs to take the lead for good, 28-20 after 3. The magnitude of the collapse was comparable in that OSU ended the game on a 31-6 run, but ND never was as safely ahead in that game as they were today.

Me, too. You see a guy run out of the pile with a blocked
by KevinPS  (2016-04-25 12:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FG and return it 85 yards for a TD...

I thought we were the better team against Tennessee. No way against Ohio State in 1995. That wasn't a choke. That was a couple of bad things happening to an over-matched team. Lou had us in it by virtue of the offense he ran. The muffed punt--and he was most assuredly interfered with--sealed it.

The Tennessee game was remarkable....
by Wolfetone  (2016-04-24 08:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along w/the 1964 fade at USC....

We will see how this affects the team post season. *
by jersey44  (2016-04-23 14:19:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fortunately, we have 2-3 games to go before that
by ShermanOaksND  (2016-04-23 14:22:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's time to right this ship. And lacrosse is a game of runs. Hopefully this team is resilient, and Doss just had a flu bug or some such thing. If he's this bad going forward, it will be a very short postseason for us.

Next duke, who beat Marquette 16-1
by Oggie  (2016-04-23 14:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was concerned about the rematch before today's shitfest.