ND 7th in IL Media Poll. Also, I hate polls.
by Otter (2016-05-03 12:58:22)
Edited on 2016-05-03 12:59:02

The logical part of me cannot deal with Syracuse being ranked above ND due to a 2 game flourish in the conference tourney.

ND hammered Syracuse 17-7 AT the Carrier dome only 30 days ago. They have four losses to ND's three.

ND has the better conference record.

ND's losses: #1 Denver, #10 Duke, #13 NC
Syracuse's losses: #7 ND, #8 Johns Hopkins, #10 Duke, and UNRANKED Cornell (sporting a 6-7 record)

Wins vs Top 20:

ND: #3 Maryland, #5 Syracuse, #10 Duke, #19 Marquette

Syracuse: #4 Albany, #10 Duke, #13 NC, #13 NC

Record: Edge ND
Worst loss: Edge ND
Conf Record: Edge ND
Head to Head: Edge ND
Wins over to 20: Edge ND

Wtf?

A bunch of teams lost last night
by flanner96  (2016-05-06 07:32:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopkins, Albany, Stony Brook and Bryant. We should move ahead of Albany in polls and likely in the committee's mind.

Selection Sunday will be very interesting with a couple of unexpected AQs making it in.

You now have Hopkins with six losses and Duke with 7. At least one of those teams should not make it.

Then who goes instead?
by tf86  (2016-05-08 10:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The bubble has shrunk, but not as significantly as it first appeared. Moreover, several bubble teams -- Penn, Penn State and Stony Brook come to mind -- took themselves off the bubble with first round losses in their respective conference tournaments.

Albany probably claimed one at-large bid. Denver claimed another, but Marquette probably would have claimed that bid otherwise. At this point, I think there are only three bubble teams left: Navy, Rutgers and Villanova. One of those teams will be in, and the others will be out, if Yale beats Harvard. If Harvard beats Yale, Yale will get the last at-large bid and aall three will be out.

Rutgers or Navy is fine by me.
by flanner96  (2016-05-08 17:56:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But...then that's why I'm not on the committee

On the subject of hating polls
by tf86  (2016-05-03 20:15:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've always thought that polls, no matter the sport, give far too much weight to recency of losses. That's the only possible justification for dropping us all the way to #7.