Face-offs and goalie play ...
by MinnesotaFats (2016-05-22 15:07:25)

Certainly not the only areas that contributed to the woodshedding today, but I do think it's unsettling that we have original walk-ons manning arguably the two most important positions on the field. Doss has had some very good games, to be sure, but some of the goals he gives up are mind boggling and momentum draining. The face-off situation is simply abhorring. There's no more accurate way to describe it. Unless they start recruiting (and getting) elite players at those two positions, a title will never be forthcoming.

Agree - but not as easy cure as offering a scholarship
by NDoggie78  (2016-05-22 16:55:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NCAA allows 12.6 scholarships and Notre Dame has 50 on the roster so there are a lot of partial scholarships or a lot of "walk-ons" (recruited or members of the student body). That being said FOGO has gotten to be so important that we definitely need to upgrade that position.

We got beat at face-off
We got beat in goalie play
We got out hustled
Our defense looked the worst all year
Our offense was inconsistent and some of our big guns were non-existent - Perkovic 0 for the game and Kavanaugh and Garnsey not much better
We got beat in coaching
We got beat in officiating
We got beat on a crappy field to play lacrosse - either play on a dedicated lacrosse field or one that will repaint their lines

Other than that everything fine

I stand corrected on Doss's credentials coming out of HS ...
by MinnesotaFats  (2016-05-22 18:08:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But still don't think that the position has performed to national championship caliber, which I'm pretty sure the goal is every year now.

As for the FOGO, because of the over-importance of the position, I think you need to use whatever scholarship it takes to bring in an elite FOGO. In today's men's lacrosse, you could argue that it is the single most important position, assuming that you have an elite team around him, which we pretty much have had over the past several years (subject to my comment and belief about the goalie play of late).

While I agree withe points of concern, Shane Doss...
by dillon77  (2016-05-22 16:17:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...committed to Notre Dame after his sophomore year at Glen Ridge High School in NJ, which was highly publicized in this neck of the state. While I don't have specific information about his recruitment ($$$ offered), I highly doubt he was a preferred walk on. Plus, full-ride or not, he was voted the ACC goalie of the year. He had a bad day no doubt, but he was not helped by his defense.

As for our face-off guys, we got scorched...absolutely. Getting an ace FOGO guy seems imperative in this day (unfortunately in my opinion), but we need to get better there. Thought things were a bit better once we picked the long-sticks out there. Question there is: same thing happened in the regular season. It was deja vu all over again. Why wait so long to go to plan B?

Doss was the #1 goalie coming out of NJ his senior year
by Reagan84  (2016-05-22 16:57:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is not a walk on. he played for a small high school but saw some quality competition (i.e. Summit, Mountain Lakes). We can't win a game if we score 3 goals

My thoughts.
by Porpoiseboy  (2016-05-22 16:13:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If we have a guy every year in net as good as Doss, I'll be pleased. He & our net minding in general don't cause me any heartburn. Can we get a goalie better than Doss? Possibly & I would be elated.

I would love to see us much better at the X. On that we agree.