Any insight into why ND plays in Dallas?
by doozie (2017-01-10 19:37:21)

I am not a lacrosse fan - don't even know the rules of the game, but I follow the team's record and national ranking. I live about 15 minutes from the Cowboys practice facility (in Frisco, TX where the game will be played) so it'll be a great opportunity to see them play. I am curious as to why they are playing Georgetown in Texas.

I assume the Patriot Cup thought they'd be a good draw.
by Revue Party  (2017-02-18 19:21:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I live about 15 minutes away, too. I was surprised that it was an all-day lacrosse affair with our game, Stanford vs. Duke (women) and several local teams.

Previously, it had been held at SMU. Last year, Denver played Penn State. 2015, it was Albany and Cornell.

Since this was the first year at The Star, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys had some influence, hoping for a draw. I think they did pretty well when our football team played at their big stadium.

As others mentioned it's a new lacrosse hot bed
by okerland  (2017-01-16 17:29:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

also, Gerry Byrne runs a camp in Texas every year.

Another possible reason
by tf86  (2017-01-19 14:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weather. Keep in mind, this game is being played on President's Day Weekend. Likely horrible weather in ND. Dallas is not a guarantee of great weather that time of year either, but certainly a better possibility than ND.

Throw in the fact that ND is a consistent Top 5/10 program, whereas Georgetown is often a bubble NCAA tourney team, and there's certainly a possibility that bad weather could close the talent gap for that game.

The weather in SB is actually beautiful today
by mikeybates  (2017-02-18 11:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sunny, blue skies, about 60 degrees. Very bizarre.

Obviously, nobody can know that in advance. It will probably be snowing next weekend when we play UM.

i don't know the answer for sure but
by ocdomer78  (2017-01-10 20:09:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we have played neutral site games in places that are not traditional lacrosse hotbeds. I think this does a couple of things:
1. builds our brand in areas where lacrosse is growing, and
2. helps build lacrosse overall

Kevin Corrigan is an interesting guy ( i mean that in a good way)who cares about things in addition to just wins and losses.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if neutral site games were common.
by doozie  (2017-01-10 20:37:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I look forward to seeing them play and gaining a better appreciation for the game. It will be interesting to see what kind of a crowd attends. Probably some ND fans and area lacrosse junkies (if there are many) - hard to compete with football down here.

I was very surprised by the size of the crowd.
by Revue Party  (2017-02-18 19:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had pretty good representation. I was surprised by how many Georgetown fans there were.

My favorite part was watching a young girl who plays soccer locally and her family chatting with the parents of one of the Stanford women. It really seemed to make the young girl's day.

There are a couple of them every year.
by hoomanbeing  (2017-01-12 22:02:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are trying to grow the game. UVa played in San Francisco during Fall Practice a couple of years ago. The ACC tournament was held at Disney World one year. This year we are scheduled to play Cornell in Costa Mesa, CA on March 11.

not true that we are playing in Costa Mesa/OC this year
by ocdomer78  (2017-01-14 19:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i think that has informally become an every other year thing

The poster's "we" is UVa, not ND *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-01-15 00:12:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We played two of them last year
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-01-12 22:40:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Against Georgetown in Atlanta (also the site of last year's ACC Tournament) and Maryland in Costa Mesa, CA. ND also played in Costa Mesa against Denver in 2014. When we were in the Big East, we played in the Meadowlands against Syracuse in 2013 and St. John's in 2012. And in 2011, we opened with a win over Duke at the Jaguars' stadium in Jacksonville.