How the "mighty" have fallen
by tf86 (2017-04-24 10:51:04)

I'm sure ShermanOaksND will enjoy this, if he hasn't already seen it.

Yesterday, Rutgers lost 13-7 at home to Penn State. The win for Penn State guarantees them the final bid in the Big Ten tourney. Conversely, Rutgers will now miss the Big Ten tourney.

This from a program that had been ranked #1 in the nation earlier in the year.

Of course, Rutgers is still eligible for selection to the NCAA tournament, and I don't mean to state or even imply that they won't be selected. But at this point, it would appear that at least six of the eight at-large bids are likely spoken for -- Duke, ND and Syracuse from the ACC (note that the ACC no longer has an AQ bid), as well as the three teams from the Big Ten tourney who don't get that conference's AQ bid. Competition will be fierce for the remaining at-large bids, and Rutgers likely will need some help if they hope to get one. At a minimum, they probably need either Denver or Albany -- if not both -- to win their respective conference tournaments. And if they have any remaining hope of making the NCAA tournament, they probably had better treat the Ohio State game next weekend as essentially a tournament game.

Last year's National Champ (UNC) also in trouble
by NDoggie78  (2017-04-24 12:18:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are currently 6-7. They have to win their two ACC tourney games to get above .500 - NCAA tourney pre-requisite. And not 100% guarantee that they would be chosen at 8-7.

True. If I were a betting man
by tf86  (2017-04-24 13:06:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right now I would not be betting on North Carolina making a trip to the NCAA tournament to defend their title. Of course, much stranger things than that have happened, and I do think (although as you said, it's not definite by any means) that they will get a bid if they win the ACC tournament.

I'd wager, if they win the ACC tournament, they make
by steelhop  (2017-04-25 08:49:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the NCAAs. They wouldn't deserve it but I wouldn't be surprised if they made it at 8-7. They would have a good RPI and wins over SU and Duke/ ND to end the season.

Here's hoping we can do what UNC did last year
by mikeybates  (2017-04-24 14:57:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were mediocre all season (8-6 I believe) and then turned it on and won the title. Their talent level showed itself in the tournament.

It'll be somewhat different
by tf86  (2017-04-24 15:53:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

North Carolina was unseeded last year. I don't think that'll be the case for us this year. Projections I'm seeing have us seeded anywhere between 2 and 4. Amazing for a down year.

I think we may have hurt ourselves somewhat by scheduling so sparsely this year, although we will have 13 games on the schedule if we reach the finals of the ACC tournament.

This Duke game will tell us a lot, I believe.
by flanner96  (2017-04-24 15:03:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We definitely have the talent to be playing on Memorial Day. It's just stringing the efforts together at the right time.