Beating Raoul to the punch - foxtrot and Dom's dead (link)
by AIRBORNEIRISH (2024-04-23 12:27:20)
Edited on 2024-04-23 12:32:56

As someone building a retail concept and married into the retail world I see this all the time. Venture / PE try to get into retail and fail because they don't understand these businesses are about scale, people, and cost controls.

It will be interesting to see whether getir etc make it in the next 5 years.

All of this said I am very said about this news. This will hit Wells St. in Chicago by my house pretty hard. Further, we would often see Bob Mariano stocking the shelves at Dom's to check on merchandising and get direct anecdotal feedback.

I am not sure how Dom's failed, but I don't think the stores by us were indicative of problems. They were alway packed and the prices were very high, but people checked out.

If they cannot make it I have no idea how these whole foods flagships stores are profitable.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/foxtrot-raises-100-million-series-c-to-accelerate-national-retail-expansion-of-its-digital-first-omnichannel-corner-store-301457950.html

Didn't they just bring in a new CEO? That was quick.
by Raoul  (2024-04-23 16:41:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I liked Foxtrot. Never knew Doms first hand. I know people who will be bummed. The concept is a good idea but you have to turn a profit.

My son will be moving into the city in a couple months. Those options for food going away is a disappointment.

Retail is tough.

The locations in Chicago were always packed
by airborneirish  (2024-04-23 21:44:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But so was borders and Barnes and noble cafe in early 2000s. Rip:(

Wild Forks just opened in Vernon Hills
by rflor  (2024-04-23 13:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had never heard of Wild Forks until I went there on impulse last weekend.

It's a brilliant concept, in my opinion. Stock an incredible selection of protein all flash-frozen for maximum quality. You name it, they have it from game to true Wagyu beef to Iberico pork.

I walked out with a picanha roast -- a cut I hadn't seen at any of my other Lake County preferred stores.

I am very much looking forward to smoking it this weekend and hope Wild Forks succeeds.

Staying on your topic -- I am sad to see Dom's fail. He was going to expand to Vernon Hills, and I was looking forward to his store. I hate how Kroger's has gutted Mariano's.

Call me bougie...but my favorite store these days is Fresh Market for similar reasons.

I’m 50/50 on wild fork
by airborneirish  (2024-04-23 15:20:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bought lobster tails and they were rancid after defrosting partially in the fridge. I also don’t like that they do not offer grass fed / whole food products.

I will have to look for the grass fed option
by rflor  (2024-04-23 19:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have sworn I saw grass fed beef last weekend, but maybe I got it mixed up with the Brazilian sourced beef (which kinda surprised me….never saw something so specific in a store).

Thanks for the tip on seafood. I probably would only stick to shrimp….we’re not a big lobster family.

On the rancidity topic, I’ve had bad luck at Costco. More than once I’ve had pork ribs that had gone bad within 2-3 days of buying them. I don’t trust it any more and plan to get my next rib purchase at Wild Forks.

The Wild Fork I order from has grass fed. *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-23 22:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have never ordered their seafood.
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-23 16:00:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a bunch of commercial fishermen in my neighborhood so I don't have any issues sourcing fresh seafood, but I do order meat regularly from Wild Fork. I have had no issues at all. I've ordered elk, bison, plate ribs, ground beef, chicken thighs, chorizo, picanha, marrow bones, beef heart, chicken heart, and probably other stuff that I'm forgetting. It's all been good.

I can see seafood being dicey, though. I'm spoiled on that front.

I like it, but I only buy in-store so that I can pick the
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-23 16:04:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

actual selection.

I have gone in once or twice
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-23 16:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I rarely go to Thousand Oaks/Westlake anymore. I almost always have it shipped.

It’s really conveniently located for us. I’ve never had them
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-23 16:38:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ship though.

You guys have it good
by airborneirish  (2024-04-23 21:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I go home or to the west coast I eat solely seafood. I don’t care how it gets to Chicago. It’s never as good as a seafood shack near the beach.

We really do. We eat a lot of fish regularly. *
by kellykapowski  (2024-04-23 23:59:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it was the end of cheap money *
by crazychester  (2024-04-23 12:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate this business cycle
by ravenium  (2024-04-23 12:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Local business becomes successful, gets bought out/merges/overextends/etc.

Closes locations, squeezes every last bit of profit before it goes down like a pile of bricks (see link)