Limited anecdotals, but
by ravenium (2024-04-23 14:20:05)

In reply to: LASIK’s been discussed, but has anyone had lens implants?  posted by roxie

A friend of mine had a severe prescription (like -6 to -8 or something) and had implants. She seems much happier.

I'm tempted to get lasik one of these days but I have three issues with it:

1. People who get it report that macular degeneration continues and they eventually go back to wearing glasses/etc so it's not a silver bullet

2. If you work at a computer or have dry eyes it's suboptimal

3. I look awesome in glasses.

I had lasik in 2001
by ND8486  (2024-04-23 16:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doc told me “this won’t stop your eyes from getting older and sometime down the line you’ll most likely need reading glasses”.
10 years later that proved correct.
I’m still satisfied with the result and would do it again.

I’m fully prepared to need reading glasses someday.
by Roxie  (2024-04-23 14:24:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But reading glasses are less inconvenient than being reliant on glasses or contacts to get through my daily life. I’m hoping I can maybe get a good 10 years in of nothing before I need to start buying drugstore “cheaters”. Also, apparently there is less of a risk of dry eyes with this other procedure, so that’s nice. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive!

Data point of one:
by PWK2  (2024-04-23 15:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I first needed cheaters when I was 49.