Visian ICLs are great if you are not a LASIK candidate
by diesel99 (click here to email the poster) (2024-04-23 15:13:11)

In reply to: LASIK’s been discussed, but has anyone had lens implants?  posted by roxie

That being said, it all depends on each individual what the best treatment would be. I would ask why the doctor feels you are at higher risk for developing keratoconus. Some people have early keratoconus (which makes LASIK basically contraindicated). Others just might have some mild corneal irregularity that could be keratoconus or maybe something else that further testing could help with. Bottom line is that Visian ICLs have some great advantages over LASIK—no removal of corneal tissue, better contrast sensitivity and probably better overall vision, and the option of removal if there is a major issue. They also have significant disadvantages by comparison—usually double the cost, the presence of a lens implant that could cause earlier cataracts, glaucoma or inflammation in the eye.

Most people are highly satisfied both with LASIK and Visian ICLs, and there is fairly low risk with both (assuming you are a good candidate). Another option if you aren’t sure would be to get a second opinion on your candidacy from another surgeon, preferably who performs both procedures so they aren’t biased in favor of one over the other. Feel free to email me and I might be able to recommend someone near you.