It's likely to be ruled unconstitutional. *
by novusordo0205 (2024-04-23 20:27:10)

In reply to: FTC bans noncompete clauses  posted by dignan

This user did not provide content for this post

Maybe on a limited as-applied basis
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-23 20:33:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's certainly not facially unconstitutional---unconstitutional for everyone in any circumstance---under Wickard and Lopez.

I wouldn't go that far.
by novusordo0205  (2024-04-23 20:39:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think your position assumes that the Executive Branch has the power to enact such a law. Some disagree. The "major questions" doctrine will be important.

As font & Keough point out ...
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-24 09:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's only tangentially a Constitutional question. The executive, of course, doesn't have the power to enact any laws. But Congress has authorized the FTC to make regulations on a wide variety of matters, and this kind of regulation is certainly within Congress's powers under prevailing doctrine.

Is it within the permissible scope of the FTC's regulatory authority under the FTC Act? That I don't know. But if it isn't it will be because of what the FTC Act says, not because of what the Constitution says.

Thanks
by novusordo0205  (2024-04-24 12:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The argument that will be made - and has already been made by Gibson Dunn on behalf of Ryan, LLC - is that the Noncompete Rule violates the Constitution in a number of ways (unconstitutional delegation of legislative power in contravention of Article I; FTC Act's removal protection for Commissioners violates the Vesting Clause of Article II).

For what it's worth, I think that analysis by courts will likely involve the FTC Act, the APA, application of the "major questions" doctrine, and the Constitution. Glad people far smarter than me will be deciding this.

Striking down on major questions doctrine
by fontoknow  (2024-04-23 22:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn't the same thing as finding it unconstitutional.

Yes, I think there's a distinct possibility that it would
by KeoughCharles05  (2024-04-23 21:37:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be struck down for lack of executive authority.

I think the odds of a nationwide injunction pending review are high.