Draft Day in Detroit was fun. TONS of people, pics didn't do
by ndgenius (2024-04-26 10:17:01)

it justice. The pics that they showed were just at the stage area...while that area was packed, Woodward Ave looked like a mardi gras crowd and then there were also tons of watch parties with big screens on the outskirts as well. I was lucky enough to be at a private party and met a few former Lions who were there doing appearances. I thought they would just be there doing autographs but they actually stayed and hung out and it was fun having some casual conversations with them.

Detroit did a FANTASTIC job of planning for a crowd of this size. We're not known for public transpo but the people mover (monorail) worked great getting around and they had tons of park/ride opportunities to keep people away from downtown with cars. I would be anxious to hear from the police on how many incidents they had but I didn't see much as we walked around.

I care very little about the draft but I do care about experiences and while I still don't care about the draft, it was a fantastic experience and I got to share it with my son who I pulled out of school to be my +1 at the party. Oh, and the people watching was tremendous...I'm amazed at how many people were geeked up about the draft and there were TONS of costumes and stuff like that.