Indystar, you called it...
by 2Domer (2012-12-10 14:14:10)
Edited on 2012-12-10 14:23:05
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Jake's Field ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Illinois' top rated baseball prospect in the class of 2014, RHP Brad Bass, has committed to the Irish, according to Prep Baseball Report. PBR calls him its no. 4 rated player overall (I presume in the Midwest, although I can't tell for sure). He's 6'6" tall and 215 pounds. He's hitting 90 mph on the radar gun, projects to add velocity to his fastball, and already throws a good, hard breaking pitch (reportedly). He and Godfrey are possibly the two best pitching prospects in Illinois, in that class. It sounds like Coach Aoki and his staff are putting together a really, really good group of pitchers. Indystar, I hope you will add your description of Bass (even if it repeats some of what you said before.) Thanks for the heads up on this. This is great news and really exciting.

Here's an article on Brad Bass...
by 2Domer  (2012-12-10 18:57:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which also mentions his fellow commit and friend, Jake Godfrey, and also a third commitment from Illinois, Jake Shepski.

Happy to do so...
by Indystar  (2012-12-10 14:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have a lot to look forward to in these 2013, 2014, and crazy enough 2015 classes. Never thought I'd say this but only "true" concern I have with some of these boys now is the MLB draft.

Bass turned down Texas, Vandy, UNC, Florida, & UK. Pretty remarkable, reminds me of the Mainieri days. Some quick insight on the kid:
No pitcher in the Midwest has more upside than the 6-foot-6, 190-pound Bass. He has an athletic, sturdy frame, long arms and legs, and, above all, has a big-time arm. Bass’s fastball regularly touched 90 mph, topping at 91, with serious tilt. It’s heavy and hard, and you don’t need to have a Walt Disney-like imagination to project it being in the mid-to-upper-90 range in the near future. (I can’t remember thinking that about an incoming junior from Illinois, ever.) Bass’s secondary stuff needs refinement, but so what. His 78 mph breaking ball is still harder than most junior’s fastballs.

What does the ACC have to do with this commit? *
by 65domer  (2012-12-10 16:31:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We join the conference either next year or the year after. *
by Indy77  (2012-12-11 13:46:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure what you're asking
by Indystar  (2012-12-11 09:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Serious question or sarcasm?

In a post just below
by 65domer  (2012-12-12 21:59:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indy77 asks if this commit is possible unless we join the ACC. I am not sure what he meant by this.

Oh ok...
by Indystar  (2012-12-13 09:46:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The draw of the ACC is now playing a huge role in these Midwest kids minds.
Definitely a vital new portion of the ND offer that are keeping kids from thinking they have to "go south".

Look for Louisville to start making a push in recruiting rankings as well.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.