Most fun since 2006
by TerryD (2015-06-01 12:16:46)

Yesterday was a double kick in the nut sack, but I really enjoyed following the team this year.

It was the most enjoyable and most hopeful season in nine years. This team was not the most talented (especially at the plate) team around but they pitched and fielded well and fought hard.

I think that this season (and the fact that almost all contributors return) is setting ND up well for the future.

This off season I will miss the insight shared on Jake's
by cbo86  (2015-06-01 15:19:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Field as it has been way too long since there has been such interest in the program. Let's hope the team's improvement and our discussion continues next season. I think a lot of us here are former and even current players that love talking the game of baseball.

I wasn't here as much as thought I'd be
by wearendhockey  (2015-06-01 18:30:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was a decent team to follow. They played the game smart but too often lacked punch. Some obvious places to improve for next season, but hopefully they are moving in the right direction. Good season by a team that probably wasn't quite ready to really contend for a deep NCAA run.

Here's my effort to keep the interest up: New commitment...
by 2Domer  (2015-06-01 16:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2016 class: Andrew Yerzy, 6'3", 210 pound catcher on the Canadian Junior National Team. Apparently he hits with power. Here's a link with some info and a couple of videos. I've only read a little bit on this guy, just now, but some folks think he is a stud. He's a new addtion to the freshman class of 2016 (not next year, but the year after).

In next year's class, we have a couple of power hitters coming in. One, Matt Vierling, also owns a 94 mph fastball, apparently, so maybe he will end up on the mound instead. Eric Feliz won a home run derby contest with the longest home run of the tourney (450 feet or something like that).

Let's get a couple of our pitchers back next year, and start hitting with more consistency. Too many Ks this year. (Watch the ball hit the darn bat.) We can get a lot better, so let's do it.

Thanks, 2D. *
by cbo86  (2015-06-02 07:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It can end so quickly. Within hours last night, hope that
by cbo86  (2015-06-01 14:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our pitching and D could carry us to a Super Regional faded to black. Gotta find some way to produce consistent offense. This Regional was there for the taking if our offense produced. I hope strong pitching and defense becomes the norm because it only would have taken one or two strong offensive half innings to win the 2 games we lost.

Nevertheless, great season which hopefully leads to future success. The ACC is a strong conference with a great reputation and with some good recruiting and development, we should be able to compete and get the attention we need come future tournament times.

I was a little lukewarm to the original hire
by Domer99  (2015-06-01 14:21:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But was really happy with the performance this year. That said, what are the expectations for next year? Offense obviously needs to improve but can you outline some other areas you'd like to see shored up?

Also, what kind of season does ND need to have for Aoki to demonstrate the program is headed in the right direction? Last year was probably a tough adjustment with it being the first year in the ACC.

My personal view is always 40 wins and a regional bid
by TerryD  (2015-06-01 14:33:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those are always my personal hopes/wishes/goals each year.

I guess That I got used to this as a standard during the Mainieri years.

ND is losing only three major contributors:

Youndahl

Bull

Kerrigan

ND needs the two outfield recruits to come in, win the job and contribute as freshman.

The returning players Ned to get stronger and continue to develope.

One thing that we need to cultivate is the mindset that
by cbo86  (2015-06-01 14:50:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we are truly an ACC team regardless of geography. These kids have great facilities at ND and a playing surface that is more immune to bad weather than the prior surface (although I always prefer playing on grass...surface that is). In addition, we are not stuck playing in northeast and mid-western weather all conference season like we would be in BIG or Big East). Unlike a northern team like BC, our national reputation and past NCAA history, gives us a leg up for ACC recruiting purposes. I also think we'd be more appealing to local recruits choosing between a BIG school and ND. Although the BIG had a record number of teams chosen in this year's tourney, a lot of potential elite recruits closer to ND should see that chance to compete in the ACC should/will raise their draft profile more than playing in the BIG.

facilities are adequate, however...
by mrock90  (2015-06-01 16:24:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gameday experience is really dreadful at Eck stadium; I can't imaginge a more sterile sports environment than the one for ND baseball. I'd like to have seen them invest some of the $$ they wasted on installing protective nets around everything and use it for improving the fan experience.

Like on a jumbotron? Or a t-shirt gun for the leprechaun...
by domer_ai  (2015-06-05 01:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to shoot shirts in the stands? I actually like going to games at the Eck because it is still about baseball, but that is just me. If you are talking about improving the facilities in general then I am all-aboard on that train. Nothing says ND like purple bleachers.

No, nothing like that at all
by Mrock90  (2015-06-05 22:01:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's just nothing distinguishing about the place that makes a casual fan or student come out-- horrible ballpark food, no raucous student section, nothing that makes opposing team feel uncomfortable

"But if we could just save ONE life...or ONE lawsuit." *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2015-06-01 22:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaking of playing surface
by Domer99  (2015-06-01 15:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I know this has long been a criticism with nearly all things ND (i.e. field turf vs. natural grass), but in watching many of the NCAA game across the country I was surprised how many teams had a similar set up to ND. U of I was very similar, with dirt colored turf around the bases.

I don't know that I like it, and by no means does the excuse "well, everybody's doing it" make it better, but I guess ND isn't exactly carving unchartered territoy in ugly field turf.

I don't like it, but I understand it for northern baseball
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2015-06-01 15:51:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It probably helps you avoid several washouts/snow-outs every year, and with the way college baseball is scheduled, those games are almost impossible to make up after they're cancelled (weekday games, that is).

So, I certainly don't like it, but I guess at some point it makes sense for college ball. Never in the majors....and never did it make sense for ND football.

I couldn't believe Vandy has it.
by tdiddy07  (2015-06-03 22:19:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Materially detracts from the game experience. Texas's also is pretty ugly from what I recall.

Vandys stadium is pretty awesome
by Mrock90  (2015-06-05 22:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the football stadium along left field and asymmetrical outfield-- it's very cool setting

The stadium itself is a nice setup. *
by tdiddy07  (2015-06-06 09:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tulane as well.
by Magnitude  (2015-06-04 17:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND played Tulane in New Orleans a couple years ago, and everything is FieldTurf, with the exception of the pitcher's mound, which is dirt. It looks absolutely terrible.

My biggest beef with our turf field is the pitching mound
by cbo86  (2015-06-01 15:12:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and to a lesser extent the home plate circle. It seem to me that it would be not too burdensome to at least maintain a nicely groomed dirt mound. When it's not being used, it is easy to protect from the elements and real dirt allows pitchers to get a real and consistent footing.

The turnaround
by Lakerman  (2015-06-01 13:40:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from last year was amazing. This year was fun, and the future looks bright. The ACC is very strong in baseball, and I am very, very pleased with both the team's performance this year and the future of the program. We have come a long, long way in just one year.

I agree--
by Mrock90  (2015-06-01 12:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fairly remarkable season given how offensively challenged this team was, especially against quality pitching