We were consistently ranked under Mainieri
by ShermanOaksND (2016-03-12 15:09:43)

In reply to: My guess.  posted by hibernianangst

What's changed since then, other than the head coach?

Tuition. Triple now what it was then.
by btd  (2016-03-13 05:05:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

12k my senior year in 1989. It is around 60k now. Without doing the math to be certain the part parents have to pay is at least double now adjusted for inflation as it was in the 80's and 90's - so harder to recruit consistently well.

Mainieri caught lighting in a bottle.
by hibernianangst  (2016-03-12 15:23:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His best player on the World Series team was five foot nothing baseball star. Some teams just have the will to win regardless of talent and you cannot underestimate Marnier's ability as a coach. From the outside it appears Notre Dame is not too concerned about baseball. Notre Dame baseball has a relatively small fan base so Swarbrick probably catches little heat regarding their performance. Notre Dame is satisfied to field a somewhat competitive team. Neither Murphy nor Marnier had temperaments to just be competitive, they wanted to win it all.

Murphys teams were very competitive
by Sonofadomer  (2016-03-12 16:44:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get tired of reading recaps of games and mental errors continue to occur - that's a direct reflection on the coaching