MKE Journal Sentinel article on Craig Counsell/Pat Murphy.
by G.K.Chesterton (2016-03-15 14:20:14)
Edited on 2016-03-15 14:24:35

Excerpt:

When Murphy transitioned to the pro game after so many years at the college level, it was natural to wonder if his strong personality and set ways of instruction would make for an easy or difficult transition. The way he sees it, that uncommon background actually helped him learn what would work or not work with professional players.

"When you have to do things for yourself for so long, and you don't really manage 'up,' so to speak, and you're not really critiqued under a microscope, you question things," he said. "I wasn't necessarily raised in the game. I was trying to figure things out for myself, and I made a lot of mistakes doing that. Through the mistakes, it makes you question things even more.

"I'm lucky that I coached in programs in college that were so successful. You look at the winning percentage (947-400-2, .703, at Notre Dame and Arizona State) and it looks a little gaudy but the truth is I made just as many mistakes as anybody else. But I had good programs behind me that allowed me to look good."

As for being reunited with Counsel at this particular place and time, Murphy added, "It's fantastic. I couldn't be happier. It's a special deal going on here. You have to be part of it to feel it."