They are good with potential to be NCAA team.
by cbo86 (2016-04-27 11:02:05)

In reply to: Historically ND baseball has been pretty good & allthough  posted by IrishJoeinnc

However, every time I think they are ready to take the next step, they get outclassed by better ACC competition (eg Louisville and FSU and Miami (one game)). One of the things that I think may have exacerbated the situation for us is that the top ACC may be really good this year (hard to really tell until NCAA's). On the other hand we were in every FSU game late and we could have easily won 2 of 3 vs Louisville.

I have watched quite a bit of action this year and I think our fielding has been pretty strong, base running is better (yet we still make a lot of mistakes), hitting and power has improved, starting pitching (except vs top tier ACC competition) has been pretty solid. The bullpen has been a work in progress as guys like Bass work back from DL.

We are 8th in the ACC out of 14 teams with 3 series left against teams behind us in the standings. Winning each of those would be huge to get us into ACC tourney. Series against LSU has potential to help our NCAA resume but they are good as usual. In my mind, the Irish are good but not great and are squarely on the bubble of being a good enough to make it to NCAAs.

Replies: