Conference Tournament?
by indianapolisstar (2017-05-19 19:03:27)

I apologize for being tapped out the last couple weeks, however I was wondering where things stand ACC tourney wise? Noticed the two losses we took to BC, if we get swept this weekend do we risk not getting in?

We are indeed at risk if we lose tomorrow (updated)
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-05-19 19:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Today's loss dropped ND into a tie for 11th place with BC at 10-19, and with the tiebreaker ND would be 12th. However, we're still ahead of Virginia Tech (9-19) and Pitt (8-20), both of whom have tough road series in which they've lost game 1 of 3 (VT at Miami, Pitt at WF).

If we beat BC tomorrow, we're in the conference tournament. If we lose, we'd have to see how VT and Pitt do in their respective series, and navigate the tiebreakers (which I have not done). ND won 2 out of 3 at Pitt in March, and has not played VT.

UPDATE: Pitt rallied to beat Wake 5-4, while VT lost a doubleheader to Miami. So ND is now just one game ahead of Pitt and VT with one game remaining for each. The ND-BC winner tomorrow clinches a tournament slot, but the loser could be fighting through tiebreakers if Pitt and/or VT win tomorrow.

ND Baseball twitter celebrating the "clinch"
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-05-19 23:46:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can one actually claim to "clinch" anything when sitting at 10-19? Dreadful. Humiliating. This is Notre Dame.

Please tell me you are kidding that we have someone
by chicos bail bonds  (2017-05-20 16:18:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

within the athletic department who believes that it is newsworthy and exciting to note that we have "qualified" for a conference tournament.

Well they are using an exclamation point (link)
by MackerelSnappingAnarchist  (2017-05-20 19:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I take it ND wins the tiebreakers over Pitt and VT? *
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-05-19 23:53:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Must be....too disgusted to look right now *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2017-05-19 23:56:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think I've figured it out, if anyone cares at this point
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-05-20 00:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'd win 2-way tiebreakers over both Pitt and VT, as well as the 3-way tiebreaker. The keys were winning series over Pitt and NC State.

Non-Divisional Opponents

Two-Team Tie

(1) Head-to-head conference competition between the tied teams.

ND wins this tiebreaker against Pitt, 2-1.

(2) Head-to-head competition of the tied teams compared to common opponents with the highest overall conference winning percentage and continuing until one team gains an advantage.

ND wins this tiebreaker against Virginia Tech. The highest-ranked common opponent is Virginia; both lost 2 out of 3. The next 2 are Clemson and NC State. Both were swept by Clemson. VT was swept by NC State, but ND won 2 out of 3 to win this tiebreaker.

Three-or-More-Team Tie

(1) Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams (if common opponents).

(2) Head-to-head competition of the tied teams compared to common opponents with the highest overall conference winning percentage and continuing until one team gains an advantage.

Pitt was swept by both UVa and NC State, and didn't play Clemson. So ND wins this tiebreaker over both Pitt and VT, by virtue of the 2 wins over NC State.

Fun fact: BC would lose tiebreakers against both VT (who swept BC) and Pitt (who has 1 win over UNC while BC was swept).

Fun fact?--maybe that's why Aoki lost to BC to get his old
by Domerduck  (2017-05-20 01:17:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team in the playoff, knowing ND had the tie breakers on the other two and BC didn't.

It would be fun to end BC's season, but I have my doubts
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-05-20 15:53:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that this will happen. We blew a 7-3 lead today and are now tied 7-7 in the 7th.

Just noticed that, and BC now up 8-7. Aoki needs to go *
by Domerduck  (2017-05-20 16:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice write-up, Sherman. It shouldn't be this close. BTW I
by Cbo86  (2017-05-19 21:59:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hate the insurecure piece of crap sissy school to which we're losing. That concludes my presentation.

Thank you* *
by indianapolisstar  (2017-05-19 21:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post