I was recently appointed General Counsel of the Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation ("Farmer Mac") located in Washington, DC and am looking to hire a new Assistant General Counsel in the Legal Department (former AGC will be promoted to Deputy General Counsel). Farmer Mac is a small but complex stockholder-owned, government-sponsored enterprise that creates a secondary market for agricultural mortgage loans and rural utilities loans. Farmer Mac files periodic reports with the SEC and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "AGM." I have copied the official position description below. Please e-mail me if you are interested in pursuing this opportunity.
DATE: June 2012
POSITION TITLE: Assistant General Counsel
REPORTS TO: Deputy General Counsel
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides legal advice on all matters relevant to Farmer Mac as directed by the Deputy General Counsel or General Counsel.
1. Provides legal support for issues related to Farmer Mac’s secondary market programs for qualified agricultural and rural loans, including loan underwriting and servicing activities, loan purchases, guarantees and other credit enhancements of loan pools, and Farmer Mac’s Seller/Servicer Guide.
2. Provides legal support for corporate finance transactions, including equity, debt, and asset-backed securities offerings, and transactions involving proposed investments, repurchase agreements, and derivatives. Participates in negotiations with proposed counterparties regarding contract terms.
3. Contributes to regulatory compliance by reviewing, drafting, and commenting upon regulatory filings and correspondence, including SEC periodic reports (Forms 10-K, 10 Q, 8-K, 3, 4 and 5, and Proxy Statements) and compliance with New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) listing standards. Prepares and assembles materials to support regulatory filings.
4. Contributes to sound corporate governance, internal controls, and operations by reviewing, editing, or drafting Board policies and procedures and contents of Board mailings (e.g., minutes, Board Policies, analytical memos, and reports), providing documentation and assistance to internal and external auditors and internal Sarbanes-Oxley team, and conducting legal review of proposed changes to Seller/Servicer Guide.
5. Serves as secretary or legal counsel to management committees (e.g., Credit Policy Committee and Asset & Liability Committee) as directed by the Deputy General Counsel or General Counsel. Serves as acting secretary for Board committee meetings as directed by the Deputy General Counsel or General Counsel.
6. Reviews or prepares general corporate agreements such as proposed vendor contracts, confidentiality agreements, license agreements, work for hire agreements, and alliance agreements. Participates in negotiations with proposed counterparties regarding contract terms.
7. Reviews and tracks relevant regulatory and legislative developments affecting Farmer Mac’s business. Assists in the preparation of regulatory comment letters at the direction of the Deputy General Counsel or General Counsel.
8. Contributes to effective corporate relations by coordinating production of Annual Report to Stockholders, reviewing and drafting proposed press releases and investor presentations, and monitoring information available on corporate website.
9. Coordinates with transfer agent regarding common stock issuance, dividend payments on common and preferred stock, retirement of repurchased shares and lost stock certificates. Prepares documentation for director and employee stock option exercises and retirement plan loans. Maintains Legal Department’s ledgers tracking outstanding stock and equity grants and works with Accounting Department to reconcile records in connection with preparation of financial reports.
10. Manages legal and reporting activities of subsidiaries.
11. Oversees preparation of insurance applications for corporate insurance coverage.
12. Coordinates with outside counsel on issues as directed by the Deputy General Counsel or General Counsel.
13. Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Deputy General Counsel or General Counsel.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL:
• Demonstrated general legal knowledge, with emphasis on regulatory filing requirements (especially SEC and NYSE), documentation for corporate finance transactions, secured lending transactions, and corporate governance.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively to senior management, members of the Board of Directors, and Farmer Mac’s counterparties.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to simultaneously handle a large number of work priorities.
EDUCATION: A J.D. degree and at least two years of experience in relevant private practice field or comparable experience is required.
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS: Active membership in good standing in the bar of at least one State is required.
The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.