Mechanical Patent Agent / May 2016 J.D. looking
by Irish Tool (click here to email the poster) (2015-07-23 12:36:46)

in mid-atlantic area or telework for now. 7 years experience at the USPTO and I'm really itching to get my feet wet on the applicant's side, whether it's with a firm or in-house.

Also, I'm soliciting advice from other IP folks: I'm considering just hanging my own shingle as an agent and trying to grab extra work from anyone who has too much, because I don't need insurance and am open to irregular/part-time hours until after the summer 2016 bar (my wife works full time too, which allows this bit of flexibility and risk. I'm thinking that it would allow me to round out my experience, and get some exposure to potential future employers).

Additional details: I'm in part time evening school at Temple, but would be willing to make a long commute (NYC area, Allentown, NJ, MD, VA) 2-3 days a week. Open to relocation after graduation or a full time telework arrangement. I am eager to spread my practice out to other areas of IP including litigation, but I know that patent prosecution is what will get my foot in the door for now.