What's odd is Kelly knows it, he just keeps hammering away
by SEE (2014-12-22 16:07:55)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Yep, imo he's overwhelmed and over coached. I hope he  posted by cj

at the wall... with his head.

imo kelly micromanaged Golson and Brindza so far into the
by cj  (2014-12-22 17:45:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"technical" side that they can no longer "play". Come game time they haven't figured how to toss the technical baggage. They're both stuck in the old/common "paralysis by analysis" mode. kelly hasn't figured out how to free them up...

How is it that 2 guys with early/pre season National Award potential have lost it so completely? (Heisman/Groza)

When I heard Kelly discussing kicking mechanics I really wish someone would've asked him his experience in the area. Where did he learn? How long did he study? Who taught him?....

(imo He appears like the guy who can shoot 90 in golf, but wants to give lessons to everyone. If you want to help Brindza kick bring in John Carney....)

PS Kelly's going to get a huge dose of power running on display out of an LSU freshman. Fournette is one of the best guys I have seen at this age. He's a monster. It should be interesting to see if he can get isolated with Smith. That will be something...

It's not that odd to me.
by HowardRoark  (2014-12-22 16:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's a scrappy guy who's gotten to this gig on the strength of his system. It's worked everywhere else. He's had some tough breaks along the way. Most importantly, because he started off in Division II, he's heard a lot more people telling him it can't be done than your average Tier I college coach, so he's gotten even more accustomed to proving them all wrong. If I had to speculate, I'd say that he's so used to proving people wrong that he reflexively responds that way to all criticism, including the warranted criticism, so he's not inclined to take it to heart and make the changes required.

He'll go down swinging his way rather than adapt.

Well, I guess you can get there. A simpler
by SEE  (2014-12-22 17:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

deconstruction of Kelly might be: his MO and stated philosophy has been to rep things until they work and he has faith he can get his QBs there.

Not sure the pyschological deconstruction that he has to prove himself is correct, I'd say the simpler and more likely theory is above since he's espoused it.

I tend to think people continually backfit everything into a small-timey box when they wouldn't have concluded that independently based upon what we know.

We're sort of talking past each other.
by HowardRoark  (2014-12-22 18:41:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think of your deconstruction as a half-step, and I've assumed it (more or less) in mine.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.