When OSU hired Meyer, several of the usual suspects here
by ugoirish (2014-12-28 02:11:02)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: multiple news outlets confirm Harbaugh to UM. PC on Tues  posted by jt

chalked it up mostly to luck. The stars were aligned, blah, blah, blah. In retrospect, many have said the same about Alabama's hire of Saban. Rodriguez fell through, Saban was dissatisfied at Miami, etc. Now the stars seem to have aligned for UM. But you know what, all three closed the deal. Maybe the stars were aligned to have Stoops talk to us in 2009, Meyer and Shanahan in 2004, Gruden and Coughlin in 2001. But we didn't get it done. I hope someday in my lifetime ND we'll get serious about football again, but it's more than just a matter of luck.

Make no mistake, this is not just a home run but a grand slam home run hire. It's not simply that he proved himself in college and in the pros. He's proved himself at a college that has much higher academic requirements than UM and he did it using an offensive approach that will mesh perfectly with the recruits that midwestern schools most easily get. I'm sure we'll be told not to worry, that he'll burn out very quickly at UM. But an awful lot of people said the same thing about Meyer at OSU. It could just as easily be the case that he's better suited to working with college kids than NFL players and will be there a long time. The Michigan sucks jokes will be a real laugh riot.

Replies:

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.