Here's the thing
by Jvan (2015-01-19 16:03:41)
Edited on 2015-01-19 16:07:08
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

In reply to: Depends how you look at it  posted by Carroll02

I don't fundamentally disagree with anything you've said, although I do think ND's recruiting classes are consistently overrated by the various services.

In any event, ND has done poorly in the area of recruiting the elite five star kids. They typically have five star egos and tend to sign with five star recruiters like the few coaches we've discussed. The consistent theme I've heard regarding Kelly is he does not invest the effort over long stretches of time to develop personal relationships with the top kids (or any recruits, for that matter). He's truly a CEO coach in this respect. Saban and Meyer are relentless recruiters and relationship-builders, but many coaches find it distasteful or just too time consuming.

Edit: I will say this about Weis, and it may be the only good thing I can think of to say about him at all as a coach: His relationship building effort with Manti Te'o really paid off.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. is not responsible for its contents.