I'm trying to picture Col. Stephens dressed up as the Trojan
by Moff (2024-03-26 18:28:43)
Edited on 2024-03-26 18:48:15

In reply to: I'm trying to picture Moose Krause in similar attire. *  posted by Kbyrnes

Oh wait. That happened at a team meeting in the Monogram Room in the Fall of 1987. It was pretty damn authentic looking too. I wonder if they borrowed it from USC, who were already in town.

The Colonel was late in showing up, but at that time only Lou knew what was going on. Everyone else was completely in the dark and thought it was just the usual Friday, pre-game lunch there. On this occasion, Lou had finished telling the team that they were about to hear from "A Great man from The West!" who was about to walk in, but then no one showed up. I was eventually dispatched to go outside the Monogram Room to see where this Great, but now very late, Man was. I walked out through the double doors, walked around a bit in the concourse and looked around the corners but saw no one. I had no idea who or what I was even looking for. I finally gave up and walked back in through the closed doors to report back to the Man. As soon as I opened the inner door, I immediately realized that the whole team was already staring at the doors and expecting this Great Man! to be the one entering. Instead, this idiot walked in. Without missing a beat, Frank Stams sprang out of his chair with a giant grin and yelled (in Monty Python fashion): "It's Moff! Moff is the Great Man From the West!!" and led a standing ovation as everyone cracked up, including Lou. Good times. The Colonel walked in a little later dressed as the Trojan and proceeded to try to rally the team by pissing them off. Also good times.

I'm trying to picture colonel Jessup ordering the code red *
by jt  (2024-03-28 12:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need him on that wall! *
by Moff  (2024-03-28 14:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of your best, if not the best story you have shared yet!
by drmurray  (2024-03-27 13:10:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bravo!

Your Delta name is 'Great Man of the West"

After being here for 20 years, I've probably told them all
by Moff  (2024-03-27 15:05:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before. But I try to spread the retellings out enough over time. ;)

It's right up there with the time Frank stopped by the manager's office on his way back from the old weight room to the ACC lockerroom, as he would often do to shoot the breeze. I was crashed on the old couch we had in there, so he sat at my desk. After a while, my phone rang and he answered it. "Moff's office... Sorry, he's not here right now.... Where is he? ... Um, he's out back smoking pot... Yeah, uh huh, uh uh, okay... Bye."

Me: "Who was that Frank?"

Frank, with that same big grin: "I have no idea."

Never caught any grief for it so I assume it was not the Football Office calling. Probably Gene O'Neill or Brother John Campbell calling from the Varsity Issue Room.

Good times.

That’s a great story. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-26 18:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. They are starting to fade away, but that is one
by Moff  (2024-03-26 18:49:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will always remember, along with a couple others also involving Frank.