In the late 70s, on the televised networks in the Bowl games
by OldIrishFan (2024-04-10 11:57:08)

In reply to: "Just" another Notre Dame Football Walkon Player...  posted by Moff

They would identify the players’ majors. Notre Dame had their share of players in the pre-professional programs. Most were business majors. USC was introduced and they had a large number of senior football players whose major was listed as Undecided.

"Park and Recreation" *
by DrunkenIrishPoet  (2024-04-14 18:57:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing can compare to what Michigan did/does
by domer4  (2024-04-11 12:10:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a) hold yourself out as some fantastic academic undergrad institution (based on rankings of your graduate programs)

b) have your football team almost entirely enrolled in the College of Kinesiology (with one poor sap saying he was majoring in accounting in that College)

c) "b)" has changed now with major donations to that College... now the football players are steered towards "general studies"

d) have Jim Harbaugh (then at Stanford) complain that he was steered away from hard majors while at Michigan, then backtrack like a wimp when he was hired at Michigan.

MSU had five or six separate majors that all seemed like
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-10 16:35:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Parks and Recreation.

or in "film & cinema" majors..later "ballroom dancing" added *
by Harv79Pangborn  (2024-04-10 15:44:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Film & Cinema is a serious major at USC. Indeed the best in
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-10 21:40:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the country perhaps the world. But agree with your overall premise re special classes for players. Indeed, once read a paper written by OJ for an English class but wasn’t sure what I was reading was English (at least as I know it).

Of all the profiles I've read here, yours is
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-11 07:42:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the most interesting.

Just one question: did you ever have an inkling that OJ was the kind of guy who would still be looking for the real killer after all these years?

And one comment: it's kind of cool that you got to know Meat Loaf and that you were on a first name basis with him.

Man, you aren't kidding!
by Irish2003  (2024-04-16 19:52:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Compared to MBO, Rullo, Faison, the numerous Lou players who are now doctors, Eilers, etc, this reminds me of my dad's old Christmas letter one year: "B19 is a sophomore at ND, B17 is applying to colleges... Dog6 continues to exist", but with me now in the role of Dog6 vs. the more accomplished fellow alums. I'd argue there's a book or 10 worth from Olson, Beijing, and MBO among others, and just glad to be here for the ride!

First, thank you. But wait. :) There’s so much more…
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-11 11:27:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Borrowed $125,000 on a home equity loan to gain 20% of Revere Copper’s equity and a year later used that equity to borrow $56 million to acquire 100% of stock. Then gave 25% of common stock to employees making them employee-owners. My book is at 110,000 words and I need to finish it but stopped when my first wife passed away
Second, OJ seemed to me to be just like any of the other football players I knew at ND or USC. He was close with his offensive linemen. Indeed, it was Mike Taylor that first checked out my apartment and told OJ I was moving out and OJ should check it out.There was no inclination when he was young to assume anything would happen like that tragedy or subsequent events. Although when I watched his parole hearing on national tv, his speech and mannerisms were the same as when he was at USC.
Third, Leslie Loaf called me once to ask me to get Meat out of the house for at least six hours as she was planning a surprise birthday party for him. So I set up golf for us at Longshore CC in Westport, CT. As we finished, pretended to call my home and then told Meat that another course that Meat wanted to play but we never got on before had called to say we were set to tee off there in 30 minutes. Did that because if I told Meat that I had a tee time there earlier that he might suggest we only play that course and he wouldn’t be out of his house long enough for Leslie to set things up. After we finished 36 holes, Meat headed home and I waited a few minutes then followed him home. My wife was already there for quite the surprise party. That summer I may have spent more time with Meat than anyone except Leslie and his two daughters. Meat was a great guy.

Man, you gotta get back to your book! I can see you have
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-12 07:46:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a lot of interesting stories to tell in addition to your Meat stories, and just with your Notre Dame and USC connections (including an OJ connection), you'd have a nice bunch of potential customers right out of the chute.

And you started out your collegiate life as a would-be engineer. And now you're the most interesting would-be engineer in the world!

Talk about an oxymoron.

I was actually introduced as the most interesting man in the
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-12 10:52:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

world to Johnathon Goldsmith years ago. My first thought was that I’d like to get to know him better. Johnathon lives near Manchester, NH and I was on the Board of Directors of a public utility in NH. Following that BOD Meeting, I planned to go to Hyannis Port and play golf with Paul Revere who had a great personality and very funny to be with anywhere. So I asked Johnathon if he golfed. No Brian, sorry I don’t. Then I thought I might ride my Harley to that meeting and stop in Manchester so we could ride together. Hey Johnathon, do you ride a motorcycle? No, sorry Brian, I don’t. Well then I thought maybe we could snowboard or ski together sometime as I had a friend who owned as beautiful home with 12 acres on the ridge opposite Sugarbush who always welcomed me to stay in a spare bedroom and that wasn’t too far from Manchester. So asked Johnathon, do you snowboard or ski? No Brian, sorry I don’t. I haven’t seen Johnathon since but he seemed to be a nice person as we met at a charitable event in which he participated.

Maybe he had a coin collection or something to earn the
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-12 13:37:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

title. I guess there are different kinds of interesting.