as long as there is no reasonable alternative option
by jt (2024-04-19 14:00:36)

In reply to: Kessler is obviously a bright lawyer, and I think what you  posted by VaDblDmr

(i.e. a minor league), I would imagine that forcing the players to split their revenue (generated in part due to their efforts) with the female sports would require some sort of agreement (i.e. "permission" also known as a "bargaining agreement") or it could lead to more lawsuits down the road (and rightly so, in my opinion). This is why I've always stated that the NFL needs to be involved, as this is truly their de-facto minor league, and currently it is 100% free for them, which is the biggest load of bullshit in this whole situation.

If the media companies pay the players directly, they would likely want control over which players went where and other things. That might be a place to start, however. Again, IMO it would need to be bargained and I'm not sure exactly how that would work.

If you carve out the teams and make them employees, I'm not sure why you can't have academic requirements; again, you would have to bargain for that. You could make cost of tuition part of the compensation agreement. There are a variety of solutions, but as I said above, one has to believe that both sides are reasonable and at least interested in a mutually beneficial solution. 100 plus years of NCAA administration would argue that the situation is actually the opposite of that.

Replies: