Shields Family Hall.... (link)
by crazychester (2024-04-20 10:50:28)
Edited on 2024-04-20 11:12:00

Jack Shields '83 is Lead donor.

Eilers and Dave Butler along with Tom Carter and Pat Kramer along with other anonymous donors. East of the Gug. I like that it plays off design cues from the stadium as opposed to the south quad (like the gug does).

Where are they moving tennis?
by mintirish  (2024-04-22 12:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This certainly looks like it will consume all the outdoor tennis courts and possibly the indoor tennis facility.

outdoor courts only for now = going to move by warren golf
by harigtad  (2024-04-22 21:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

indoor no plans for now

The goody bag
by SEE  (2024-04-20 23:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Advanced training room
Stand-alone sports medicine facility
Equipment facility with body scanning and fabrication technology
New and expanded locker room
Meeting rooms, including a two-level, all-team auditorium
Augmented reality walkthrough room
Media innovation spaces, including recording studios and photo studios
Academic support spaces
Player nutrition area designed to foster community between teams and model healthy eating

I believe in the project far more now
by ACross  (2024-04-20 22:28:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That I understand who is behind it.

This is a special group
by KHADDAFI  (2024-04-20 23:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

… that has had remarkable success in life off the field.

To a man, they also understand what this program means to the University community, as well as what it takes to win. Each saw highs and lows during their tenure as student athletes, and they played on teams that climbed to (or near) the top. They’ve walked the walk.

We’re fortunate to have their commitment and ability to rally support for their vision.

Sounds like it is not just for football.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-04-20 12:48:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which I'm glad to see. And obviously there is strong football alumni support for much of what they hope to accomplish with the addition.

is the Shields building football-only?
by MrE  (2024-04-21 11:22:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what seems to be alluded to in the press release, with the Gug being renovated for the other sports.

Nice to see Swarbrick at the festivities.
by ocnd  (2024-04-20 11:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really gives you that warm, fuzzy vibe

Warm, fuzzy...like contact with a wolf or another predator. *
by Manorcal  (2024-04-20 17:35:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree, looks great. There will be few excuses
by SEE  (2024-04-20 11:24:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Going forward. Still grasping the magnitude of commitment to football. Anyone have a copy of the C4C?

there are few excuses already
by jt  (2024-04-20 14:40:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and yet, some still make more.

Quite a few things in there I expected.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-20 11:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounds like they’re going to be very future focused with this new facility.

Tom Carter, Pat Eilers, David Butler leading the charge.
by SEE  (2024-04-20 11:32:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like that there are ex players involved.

“Shields Hall is more than just a football facility. Kathy and I wanted to provide a center that will provide resources for our players’ minds, bodies and spirits during their time at Notre Dame and beyond. We want to ensure our team can play like champions today and live like champions for the rest of their lives.

There are obviously a lot of former football players who
by IAND75  (2024-04-20 12:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have the financial means to contribute substantial sums to the University if they so choose. I don’t remember any others doing so, at least for the last several decades. Am I missing some?

I wonder what has changed?

I fully expected some former players to be involved.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-20 11:40:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The extent to which they are is a pleasant surprise.

I was really glad to see them talk about the player performance aspect of the facility. And the overall square footage falls in line with comparable NFL and college facilities that have either been built, are planned, or under construction.

The questions about player disengagement remain valid. I also wish we’d see someone point up the cash to modernize and expand the dining halls as well the athletic food facilities. But that’s another discussion for another time.

I’m headed into the stadium for the spring game. Have a great day everyone.