That looked like a team just playing out the string.
by wearendhockey (2024-02-23 22:35:06)

Lackluster effort, another game misconduct penalty, special teams sucked yet again, Slaggert looked like he ho-hummed his penalty shot, even Bishel gave up a couple of weak ones. Completely pathetic and embarrassing all around tonight. Start the fire sale now.

Time to do the Brey thing *
by JSDomer  (2024-02-24 11:34:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I disagree
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2024-02-24 14:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We've got a great freshman class and look to be better next year.

I have 0% confidence that we could identify and land a better coach than Jackson, when at his age.

Minnesota devotes more resources to hockey than anyone in the NCAA and they couldn't find an elite coach. Wisconsin did, but their institutional emphasis on hockey is magnitudes ahead of ours.

I'd also give JJ another year
by Irishgambler  (2024-02-25 08:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This year's freshman class has scored almost a third of our goals so we should be better next year, especially if we recruit well again this year. If we're offensively challenged again next year, then I'd agree that it's time to look for a new coach.

That's where I am *
by nihilist in golf pants  (2024-02-26 18:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its quite possible Notre Dame has already identified their
by wearendhockey  (2024-02-24 15:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

next hockey coach. Brock Sheahan is not behind a bench to be anyone's 3rd assistant.

After taking a couple years to find his footing, Bob Motzko at Minnesota has been to consecutive FFs and was in the title game last year. This year they are again solidly in the NCAAs. Seems at least a little elite to me. And since the formation of the Big Ten hockey conference, Wisconsin's devotion to the sport has landed them twice as many 20 loss seasons (4) as NCAA tournament bids (2). They went from being tremendously awful for two straight years to being having a good chance at a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament because -- in large part -- they hired a top flight coach.

Since exploding on the scene in the Big Ten in 2017, Notre Dame has been nothing but mediocre for 6 seasons. We've seen good freshman classes before too. Take Covid out of the equation and we've failed to be tournament worthy in 4 of the last 5 seasons. And we keep seeing the same issues derail us. The sport has changed dramatically in the last 2 or 3 years and we have failed to adapt in most of the meaningful ways. And we may not be at the top of the heap in terms of commitment to the sport, we are nowhere near what we used to be. We are among the top quarter of programs in terms of facilities and commitment to the sport.

As long as Jackson remains behind the bench, this program will continue to look exactly like it has for the last half dozen seasons. Maybe Notre Dame can't (or won't) compete for titles in a world of transfer portals and NIL. But they definitely won't with the current coaching staff.