Mostly agree
by NPaulTodd (2024-04-15 12:51:35)

In reply to: Lot of Brand Names Up There. Think ND Has Different Lens  posted by dillon77

I only have a couple of quibbles. Fist is that Liza Karlen and Lucy Olsen aren't quite the same as Anna. Sure they aren't from a P5 team, but both are among the top portal players. Anna was more of an unknown.

The other disagreement is that Kiki Iriafen in particular is both a top player and a great fit. We have 4 entrenched starters returning and one position that is a bit more open. Keep in mind that plan A appeared to be for Kylie to return to split time with Kate, with Kate taking the reigns as a Sophomore. Iriafen can easily slot into that same role for a season, and honestly she could do it better than Kylie since she can play the 4 or the 5. Likewise, as a Stanford transfer, academics are likely not a big concern. On paper she looks to be about as good of a match as you can find, while also happening to be the top player in the portal.

Disagree a bit: Anna's stats and recognition were
by MountainMan  (2024-04-15 16:26:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comparable to both Karlan and Olsen. Anna was first team all conference three consecutive years and co player of the year, one year. 18+ ppg.

However, I do really like your portrayal of Kiki Iriafen and your thoughts on how she would fit at Notre Dame.

Have Edited Original Comment...
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 12:59:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..to show that I've got nothing against certain top names and bring up that I, too, believe Niele should call and kick the proverbial tires of certain well-known names.

If the Irish can get Kiki, I'll be high-fiving the mailman Timea Gardiner? Let it rip. (However, I can see her going to Utah to take Alisa Pili's place).

And, yes, I do think Iriafen can be part of a perfect three-person rotation with Kate Koval and Maddy Westbeld (if she's back) and/or Liza Karlen, if she comes, too.

However, right below #1 is #1and those can be a bit more fungible for the team-building that Niele has in front of her.

On that note, let's see what happens....

I thought your original point was clear
by mwayne  (2024-04-15 14:31:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think you or anyone else suggested not to pursue top players. Especially now, when they have a chance to make a very deep run. I personally would like to see ND get at least one top frontcourt player that can ease Koval's transition to CBB. Additionally, they need more bodies here for obvious reasons - foul trouble, injuries, etc.

Transfer portal business is much like speed dating - if one side is not feeling the connection or prefers to be elsewhere, you have to move on to the next transfer target, promptly. If the next target is not as well-known but the coaches believe can provide similar results, then so be it.

Hopefully, the coaching staff has a well-organized plan and can execute it.

Got It...And Agree.
by dillon77  (2024-04-15 14:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need to go to plan 1A or 2 Quickly. Also agree that the most important piece of this year's puzzle is a post that can work with Kate Koval.
(Dang that injury to Kylee Watson: she looked like she was going to stay next year.)