Updated List of a Few Names in the Portal I Jotted Down
by dillon77 (2024-04-22 09:09:21)
Edited on 2024-04-22 13:43:25

..weeks or days ago and there status, to the best of my knowledge.
Some of these names merely reflect players I think would be an interesting match; not a report on any purported interest and/or contact.

The fact that the only two names the Bench has heard (perhaps) visited are both power forwards/posts, could indicate that Niele is focusing on the frontcourt, at least initially.

Hopefully, it could also indicate that in the case of athletic wings and/or shooting guards, she fully expects Cass Prosper and Emma Risch to be back and contributing in 2024-25.

Anyways, here's who is still open and/or committed:

"Most-Known" Names
- Kiki Iriafen, Jr. 6'3" forward from Stanford who had mutual interest with ND in high school.
- Timea Gardiner, Soph. 6'3" forward from Oregon State who had mutual interest with ND in high school.
Status: Still open (has reportedly had interest with Utah, BYU)
- Liza Karlen, Grad. Transfer 6'2" forward from Marquette who has reportedly visited Notre Dame.

"One-Year" Power-Forwards for Rotation Purposes Up-Front

- Caitlin Weimar: Grad Student, 6'4" post from Boston U.
Status: Still Open. Has allegedly visited Notre Dame, North Carolina State.
- Cameron Williams: Grad. Student, 6'3" Forward from Michigan & Chicago South Side,
- Maya Toure, grad. student, 6'2" power forward from Rhode Island.
- Khadija Faye, grad. transfer, 6'4" post/power forward from Texas.
- DeYona Gaston, grad. transfer, 6'2" forward from Texas.
+
One Player with Two Years of Eligibility
- Grace VanSlooten, junior-to-be, 6'3" all-around forward from Oregon.

Athletic Wings That Can Also Mix It Up

- Alyssa Latham, to be soph, 6'2" wing from Syracuse who from Illinois.
- Jalynn Bristow, to be soph. 6'2" forward from Iowa State.
+
- Saylor Poffenbarger, to be junior, 6'2" wing from Arkansas, UConn and grew up in Maryland.
- Faith Masonius, grad student, 6'1" forward who is a poor-man's Saylor for Maryland. Played with Mabreys in high school.

Guards (Multi-Purpose and a Shooter)

- Maddie Scherr, grad student, 5'10" guard from Kentucky/Oregon, who averaged 12.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg and 3.4 apg. Played with Kylee Watson at Oregon.
- Bronagh Power-Cassidy, grad. student from Holy Cross and Ireland. 5'10" combo guard and Patriot League Player of the Year.
- MacKenzie Hare, junior to be, 5'9" shooting guard from Marquette who hales form Illinois.

Scratch MacKenzie Hare from the list
by NPaulTodd  (2024-04-22 12:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She just committed to Iowa State. She was my preferred choice for a guard pickup, but there were no rumors of any mutual interest.

She entered the Portal before Duffy even left. She must
by Raoul  (2024-04-22 12:49:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have had something specific she was looking for that was not at Marquette with or without Duffy.

She was someone who was not highly rated and outperformed her HS rep in college. Maybe more NIL or friends drew her when given more options with her performance.

We didn't need her IMO. Karlen a much better fit on many levels.

Hare wasn't really competing with Karlen for a spot, as
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2024-04-22 13:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Karlen is a 6'2" forward and Hare is a 5'9" shooting guard. Most of the Irish fans believe ND needs 2 front court players and a combo guard, so we could have grabbed both. Right now we only have 2 front court players (Koval and Maddy), a PG (Liv), a combo guard (Hannah, she's combo because I believe Miles will primarily run the point this season), 2 wings (Soni and Emma) and a 3/4 (Cass). Given our injury history, there is no way we should go into the Fall with only 7 players. 10 players seems like the minimum we should consider, and I'm not counting Kylee because she probably won't be available any time during the season (and if she appears, it will be late and she won't be up to speed).

I would prefer a "3 and D" guard, but effective ones are hard to get, so we'll hopefully get one that either has great range and is sufficient defensively, or a defensive stopper that is pretty effective offensively.

As for the front court, I envision someone who has the physical ability to play C, as Koval won't be able to play anywhere near 40 minutes/game (and I wouldn't want her to, anyway). This player should have the height and/or strength to defend effectively, but doesn't need to be much of an offensive threat (think Kylee). The other F position is more flexible, as that player would provide depth (for foul trouble/injury insurance).

Last season we got only two players from the portal, but we whiffed on one. I hope we bat at least 67% this year. I feel like we owe it to Maddy, Soni (and possibly Liv) to go all out this season for a championship.

Thinking About How Karlen Could Fit in With ND
by dillon77  (2024-04-22 16:12:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As noted, she's 6'2" and is generally listed as a forward, but she played and positioned herself everywhere from the lane to the elbow and even beyond on offense. On defense, she'd cover post and big forwards, generally, but would also anchor a zone.

I could see Niele employing her in a "big but agile" lineup against certain teams, in either a zone or man-to-man, with Soni moving to the 2.

Well, we'll see how progress is going on this front.

Thanks for your insight. I think Karlen would be a great
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2024-04-22 19:16:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

addition, but I still think we need a defensive 5; not for most of our games, but for the games when we must defend one of the great bigs in today's game: Iriafen, Betts, Beers, Lee, or pretty much the entire South Carolina front court. Having someone to hamper a dominant big and absorb some fouls will be imperative if we have dreams of a championship.

Do you think Karlen could go against these bigs and hold her ground? She's not thin like Nat but she's only 6'2" and so she's giving up a lot of height. I didn't watch Marquette much so I cannot evaluate how she would perform in these types of situations. I know Maddy can provide some assistance, but that takes away from her offense and she can also be foul prone. Are 3 front court players (Westbeld, Karlen and Koval) enough to fill 2 positions in the tournament? Will all three be available in the postseason?

Absorbing fouls is a big reason for needing a second legit
by MPG  (2024-04-22 22:51:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

post player. Karlen is more of a stretch four than a low post player from what I have seen of her. As you noted, Maddy Westbeld does pick-up fouls when she has to defend the low post for more than a few minutes per game. Weimar would be a good time sharer with Koval; she was the Patriot League defensive player of the year...

FA, MPG: Yes, Having a Post and Forward Is Optimal...
by dillon77  (2024-04-23 10:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...in my opinion. If Niele could get Caitlyn Weimar to share time with Kate Koval, you'd add very tall and active post defender, which could make up for the absence of Kylee Watson. Karlen is an all-round forward, just like Maddy, but I could see her on the floor at the same time as Maddy, playing wing on a zone, with Soni moving up top. That would be a great big lineup.

This is what I think too. *
by 2Domer  (2024-04-23 01:39:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree on all points. To steal Dillons word if I had my
by MountainMan  (2024-04-22 14:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"druthers" I would heist Karlen and Gardiner. (Gardiner is 6'3" and has decent size and strength. She is also a force on the offensive end and has two year of eligibility left, so she could slide into Maddy's spot when she leaves.). Combo or shooting guard, no "druthers", other than having played basketball previously. lol

I'm normally a very Optimistic person when it comes to
by bohratom  (2024-04-22 12:12:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

real life but I have Debbie Downer vibes regarding any TP players coming to South Bend. 🤷‍♀️🤞

It wasn't really necessary...
by Kayo  (2024-04-22 10:05:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to note that Bronagh Power-Cassidy is from Ireland. I was pretty sure of that by the time I go to the comma after her name.

Sometimes I Forget the Audience (Cardinal Sin, I Know)...
by dillon77  (2024-04-22 10:13:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..because I sometimes post on other boards who might not so Irish-centric.

I've seen her play and she's one of those very competent players who knows her game and can fit in/take lead as needed.

Interesting and intriguing and there are others. "Who
by MountainMan  (2024-04-22 09:18:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knows which way the wind blows?"

Oh, Sure There Are Others..This Was From One Such List
by dillon77  (2024-04-22 10:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...of mine. Quite frankly, I'm hoping two prospects (at least) just drop an instagram or X announcement and take the suspense out of it all!!

I think it will be two.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-22 10:24:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Complete guess, but I'm thinking Karlen and either Weimer or Gardiner.

I don't think Niele will take a guard unless there's an "Obinma" that is a graduate student willing to take some emergency minutes. Otherwise, I think Niele prefers her small bench.

For the three guard positions it would be: HH, Olivia and Soni with Emma and Cass in the rotation.

For the 4/5 positions it would be: Maddy/Karlen/Gardiner/Kate with Cass also possible at the 4.

You said you expect Niele to get 2 portal additions and
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2024-04-22 19:21:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you provided good support for that expectation. But how many would you want the Irish to get? By the way, I would be thrilled to get Gardiner and Karlen. If we got those two, I would be happy with only 2. (Honestly, I would be very happy with any 2 of those 3, but I am afraid that may be optimistic.)

I don’t like the portal.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-22 21:57:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have been happy with this team having KK and Nat to be honest. So I’m OK with taking 2 to stay status quo. In a more perfect world we would have signed another guard/wing in Kate’s class.

I appreciate the injury discussion. But realistically any TP guard is only going to play 5 mpg at best. If one of the big three guards get hurt, I think Emma or Cass would just play more. It would take a pretty unique player to be willing to sit behind those three, but step in over Emma or Cass if called upon.

I really hope Coach has seen how injuries have impacted
by bohratom  (2024-04-22 12:15:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the past seasons and takes on more guards/fowards then she normally would.

Certainly possible
by NPaulTodd  (2024-04-22 12:03:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wouldn't shock me to only pick up two, but going into the season with only 9 healthy players seems particularly reckless after last year. I would have expected Niele to move to a larger roster, not a smaller one, but it's certainly looking that way right now.

I think only two announced for now, with one more in a week
by MountainMan  (2024-04-22 10:44:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or two.