Kiki I or Timea G ?
by Knuteberg (2024-04-23 10:42:55)

Given the returning players plus Koval, there is really only room for one starting quality front court player, in my opinion. HH, OM, SC, MW are a given and will get most minutes Koval will be worked in slowly. CP and ER back up wings and some guard play. Karlen would be a quality sub-in player. That leaves minutes for one quality big. I would choose Timea G, not because I think she is better than Kiki I, but rather because she gives ND an extra year to replace MW who will be gone along with OM and SC next year.

Thoughts?

I have no preference except that either student athlete make
by Domerduck  (2024-04-23 15:28:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the best decision for themselves and their future. If it helps ND great. Both are ecceptional athletes and students. Hope they make their decisions soon.

I want kiki. Shes a beast on the block and can hit the elbow
by wbbfan17  (2024-04-23 11:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jump shot. I think she’d be a great fit for our system.

It's a toss-up really.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-23 11:07:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still prefer a dominant post scorer and defender. Both played alongside of one, so it's difficult to know who would excel better in that role with ND. Probably Kiki. But Gardiner would be a 5-out threat that would help ND spread shooters across the floor and open up driving lanes for the two best guards in the country.

I agree with your reasoning, except for "working in Koval
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 10:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

slowly." I think Kate will play significant minutes from day one. However, if the Irish get one experienced high profile forward/center from the portal, they may well start her over Koval.

Koval may contribute right away
by tedstheman  (2024-04-23 11:29:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be nice if she didn't have to.

Koval may contribute right away
by tedstheman  (2024-04-23 11:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be nice if she did have to.

Koval as freshman
by Knuteberg  (2024-04-23 11:04:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I should have used a different phrase rather than work in slowly. I think Koval will have a big adjustment to the speed and athleticism she will be facing next year. I watched her in a couple of all star games where the competition was much stronger than in her HS games. Both M Randolph and J Edwards had little problem moving around her near the basket. I think Koval will be a great player by her junior year but if she faces R Beers Betts Kiki I or any of the South Carolina front court players she will have real problems and pick up quick fouls. She needs next level conditioning and nutrition. Again just my thoughts and open to another other ideas and viewpoints

We aren't far apart. Kate is not quick and will have to
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 11:09:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

work on handling quick athletic forwards/centers. I also agree she will get in foul trouble as a result of that.

Lastly, nutrition and conditioning will make a difference. (In fact Kate's high school coach mentioned that in an interview.)

The good news is she is very competitive and wants to continue improving. She will.

Koval strengths/weaknesses
by Knuteberg  (2024-04-23 11:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no worry about KK on the offensive end. She has great footwork, vision, passing ability and a soft touch all the way out to three point area. It is defense where my concern lies. Again I also think we are in agreement and only want the Irish to compete and win

I can't remember another high school post as skilled on the
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 12:25:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

offensive end. She also has a high BB I. Q. and is a team player. Her high school team, LI Lutheran was a guard oriented team. They pushed the ball and weren't afraid to let it fly. Having played that style of play will help Kate adjust.

(I think she will be the focus more at Notre Dame than she was in high school, which is the opposite of how it usually goes.)

I totally agree with your post
by MackDaddy82  (2024-04-23 12:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to me, Koval looks very much like Kittle at the start of her career at VT. She isn't slow and plodding, but she isn't twitchy quick either. her strength is definitely on offense. I think the area she will work on the hardest at ND is on the defensive end. offense will come easy to her with the talented Guards we have and the offensive schemes Niele uses.

My condolences. *
by MountainMan  (2024-04-23 16:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post