I get your point to the fisherman...
by Brahms (2024-01-20 12:04:28)
Edited on 2024-01-20 12:04:52

In reply to: Great profile of a Trumpist archetype. And from the guy's  posted by sorin69

...i.e., short-term profit over long-term sustainability of the resource and business.

His retort was something along the lines of: "...I've been fishing for 25 years, my entire community fishes, do you really think we don't know what the hell we're doing and we're going to torch our future...".

I get his point, but at the same time, I have no problem wondering whether or not shareholder-oriented big business would torch itself chasing short-term profits over longer-term value add.

I'd like to think smaller, family-held businesses (especially those rooted in a culture/shared identity) have a better sense of responsibility and the future. Maybe MA commercial fishermen would qualify. But don't have a data point on the broader point aside from Philip Scranton's work on New England bulk-production textile factories turn of the 20th century vs. Pennsylvania valley production of family-owned batch-production factories (where the idea of "sufficiency" and quality reined in the forces which drove big-textile).

Replies: