I used to say local politics were worse beause the stakes
by wpkirish (2024-01-23 15:19:39)

In reply to: I don't even want to do local politics here  posted by ravenium

were so small. I represented one tine (300) person town where the Board meetings would drag on for hours. The fight was always between rival factions who passed control back and forth. Like many small towns there wasnt anythign for the kids to do. So one group started a teen center in the Village Hall which was the former grade school.

They wanted to have candy for the kids to purcahse so the VIllage gave them a couple hundred dollars. The fols running it went to Wal-mart and bought a bunch of candy. They would let the kids take a handful of hershey kisses or similar products for 25 cents. I am not kidding when I tell you there were multiple meetings over how the operators were handling the penny candy and how the Village would ever pass an audit if they could not account for all the candy.

Recently my 80 year old father was harassed and called a traitor by people he has know their entire lives because he chaired the board that recommended rezoning a parcel of land to manufacture electirc vehicle batteries paying above average wages for the market and employing 2600 people.. His sin was the parent is a Chinese company. VW owns 10% of the company and i am pretty certain I would find a lot Chinese manufactured goods in the opponents houses starting with their cell phones.