I would but both parties would hate me.
by OITLinebacker (2024-01-24 23:15:04)

In reply to: Would any of you reallly want to be a US President now?  posted by mkovac

A social liberal who would only allow medical abortions. To go with that, universal free child care and a complete gutting of the medical insurance industry: their profits would be capped at 1% above the rate of inflation or face a 100% tax for said profits and no more kick backs to the pharmaceutical industry for them. A fiscal conservative who wants to raise taxes for the top 20% of earners and tax corporate profit margins with extreme penalties for any company whose top employee makes more than 100x their lowest employee. I'd increase aid to Ukraine, and would warn Putin that the US will increase the aid each month until he withdraws all forces to the pre-war borders. Further, if he does not withdraw within a year, that the US would support the Ukraine taking back it's old Soviet borders along with Kaliningrad. The Southern border would see an increase in border patrols along with aid to Mexico that would depend on the ability for US Border Patrol to partner with the Mexican Border Patrol with the goal of reduction of illegal crossing and smuggling by preventing them from even getting within sight of the border. I would disallow any elected federal official from owning or trading stock (their "investments" can be in index funds or the bond market). All members of the federal government would receive the same health care and retirement packages: from the lowliest private in the army, to the postal service, to congress, to the president. No more special privileges for simply being a politician.

I can only imagine that I would be impeached within 2 months with every senator finding me guilty of something or another.