Maybe the admin knows something you dont
by vermin05 (2024-01-28 16:06:17)

In reply to: You have been correct about this the entire time.  posted by krudler

Maybe Iran already has the bomb, maybe the mullahs are on the verge of collapse and without a war are about to lose power, maybe we are doing something the public doesn’t know. Nothing is ever straightforward with Iran. And they seem to desperately turn the Gaza War into an entire Middle East war. I don’t think it’s necessarily feckless to prevent that from happening.

Joe Biden"Iran will never get a nuclear weapon on my watch."
by mkovac  (2024-01-29 14:16:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

There's reporting in numerous sources
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-28 17:51:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That Hamas and Israel are close to a 4 month ceasefire with release of 100 hostages.

I'd guess the admin would like to be able to hold off escalation until the sunni states can cooperate with us openly. Right now ziran looks like the good guy to most people over there because of Gaza.

It'll be interesting to see how far we respond to this.

Or, the administration was engaging in wishful thinking
by 88_92WSND  (2024-01-28 17:18:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

up until October 7th. A week before, the National Security Advisor was writing that their disciplined approach

1. 'freeing up' resources from the Middle East for other global priorities
  2. ,
  3. reduces the risk of new Middle Eastern conflicts

4. ensures that U.S. interests are protected on a far more sustainable basis

5. we have de-escalated crises in Gaza

6. restored direct diplomacy between the parties (Israel and Palestinians) after years of its absence
  7. .

List is based of his Foreign Affairs article - the hard copy one. The online version, which came on line after October 7th, was revised to remove a good deal of that material.

An' for 'Cross -- the original source is that well known right wing rag "The Atlantic"

Those are possibilities. Other possibilities include….
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-28 16:13:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that Biden has no idea what he is doing, and/or is afraid to make the wrong move because he bought into the notion that we should become friends with Iran. He has a lot invested in the notion of trying to normalize relations with that evil and murderous group of sociopaths leading Iran.

Someone needs to tell Obama the 1980’s called. *
by Brahms  (2024-01-28 17:04:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

We've done it at the expense of American lives. Also,
by krudler  (2024-01-28 16:13:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I hope you're right but doubt there's that much that went into it. I've grown too cynical to give either party the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of circumstances, and just default to the concept that their strategies are based purely on politics and ideology and not something more strategic until proven otherwise. Also, if your theories are true, I would think we'd do something like temporarily move the troops to a more fortified and secure location where they're not sitting ducks in the middle of the desert. If your theories are true and we're avoiding conflict because of something more important and imminent, we've now done it on the backs of 3 dead soldiers.