No one has asked, what are we doing out there?
by BeijingIrish (2024-01-29 10:02:58)

In reply to: Three American service members killed and many wounded....  posted by Marine Domer

For what purpose do we station men in a remote area where the Syrian, Jordanian, and Iraqi borders intersect? What vital national security interests are served by putting our people out there? Should we not expect they will attract attention? If so, what is the appropriate response in the event they are attacked? Did we take the necessary measures to protect the men in that base? Three KIA, 34 WIA? WTF?

ndsapper makes the point that we are war with Iran? If this is the case, how is this war being fought? Are we fighting to win? The American way of war, that is, when we have fought to win, is total war—obliterate the enemy, demand unconditional surrender. Does the threat posed by Iran rise to the level that total war is called for?

The last five administrations have proclaimed that Iran with a nuclear weapon is “unthinkable”. Who among you believes that Iran will not soon have nuclear weapons? If we were to attempt to forestall this development, what must we do? Wage total war? And, if we intend to wage total war and win, are we prepared for it—militarily, economically, psychologically? Which countries among our allies will join us in the effort?

The only way a total war effort will have the support of the American people is if they are told the truth and if a compelling case can be made for waging total war. I want to know what are the vital national security issues that would compel us to take the risks involved in what is likely to be a region-wide conflagration. I am not saying that a compelling case could not be made. But tell me what it is.

Big risks, big money, big sacrifices, etc. All of you know that we are not prepared for this. Who here is prepared to follow the authors of Kabul (August 2021) into battle? Who is prepared to entrust our future to that great strategic thinker, Joe Biden; or that brilliant military leader, Lloyd Austin?

In the meantime, while someone attempts to formulate a response to my questions, it is the duty of our leaders, yet again, to travel to Dover AFB, meet the flag-draped coffins being unloaded from the plane, look the grieving families in the eye, and try to explain to them why their husband, father, or brother died. If there is no explanation—and there is not one today—then you, Joe, had better rethink.

All this makes me sick.

Replies: