Reminds me of a school bully...
by Kbyrnes (2024-01-31 14:42:15)
Edited on 2024-01-31 15:04:04

In reply to: In the MAGA world and even cropping up in the less crazy  posted by ACross

...Yeah, I took your five dollars, but your family is rich--you won't miss it, so what's your beef.

Or if I didn't pay my taxes for 5 years, then paid up--I don't think the IRS would accept, "Hey, you got all your taxes--what's with this interest and penalties BS?"

The example an exoneration of this criminal behavior would set would be terrible. Go ahead, fudge everything, lie to your counterparties; as long as it works out in the end, what's the big deal? Sheesh.

I'd think there would be a lot of moral hazard to a policy that said, "Your intentional fraud against your counterparties was technically a violation of the law, but because they didn't really suffer, we'll issue a nominal penalty." The public is the long-term victim of the idea that financial fraud should be almost tolerated as long as in the end the "victims" really didn't lose out. Such a policy could easily be imagined to encourage more financial fraud...and what happens when, oops, the thus-encouraged financial fraud really does have a bad result?

Here's a better policy: Keep laws on the books against fraud. If you don't want to be punished for committing fraud then, gee, don't do fraud. A novel idea for Trump, I suppose.

Replies: