What would you do?
by fortune_smith (2024-02-03 08:17:32)

In reply to: You sound like a data driven household  posted by ACross

First, I’m not emotional about the topic. Second, I didn’t go proactively looking for it. Third, I’m in agreement with what you have espoused here about love and support for children and families directly encountering the topic.

But say it unexpectedly becomes a prominent topic at a school where you are on the board?

How would you assess whether the complaints about the reorientation of the curriculum are real or imagined?

Do you investigate? Do you assume it’s a political agenda? Do you evaluate whether the focus is in line with the experience that the school has outlined to the community? Do you care whether a reorientation of the curriculum may be diluting the overall educational quality? Do you assume that parents who object to an intensification of the topic are somehow not supportive of children and families facing the issue? Do you feel an obligation to understand the outcomes the reorientation of the curriculum may be producing and which may not be immediately visible? Do you do nothing and simply wait for aggrieved parents to go to the education regulator and take a spin on how that may work out?

Real questions ….

I’ll reiterate my starting point in my first post. Having spent substantial time on the topic in the past three years, I have never — not even once — heard somebody “deny” that trans even exists. I’m sure that exists somewhere but also can’t believe there’s any kind of prominence to that view.

Replies: