Did you really expect something more substantial?
by gregmorrissey (2024-02-06 15:42:15)

In reply to: Your post is an example of why we're disappointing.  posted by BeijingIrish

Your subject line and opening paragraph set the tone. Nappy Joe and the border are generally unrelated to the broader points you wanted to discuss.

So, where did you envision the thread going after that? Did you consider that there are generously ten people who regularly contribute to the board that have the requisite knowledge and/or experience to engage thoughtfully on the strategic questions that you noted? The expected participants that many of us would defer to on these subjects weighed in to varying degrees, and still the interesting thread you envisioned did not develop. But, rather than let it go, or make additional posts to try to guide the thread, you decided to express disappointment via your own snide post.

Most posters here aren't interested in getting in an argumentative thread with you on any topic. Let alone on a topic where your insight and experience are far superior. As Sorin69 pointed out, we're here to learn from others in areas where we are lacking sufficient knowledge to participate.

I don't think you really expect or believe that our politicians (especially these two nimrods) will have a meaningful discussion as it relates to "geostrategy and vital national security interests". Frankly, I don't want them to. Trump is a bona fide idiot. Has he had a thoughtful, meaningful discussion on any subject in his entire life? And, Biden can do the least amount of damage while napping so I encourage him to take more.

I don't know the answers to your questions. You mention the Indo-Pacific theatre? For the uninformed, what is going on there? Are you referring to China's ambitions, China's desperation, or something more concrete and active?

Circling back to your subject line, isn't all of this about how it makes us feel? Does any of it really matter? If Russia takes over Ukraine, does it matter? If Ukraine repels Russia, does it matter? If China invades Taiwan, does it matter? If Israel decimates Gaza, does it matter? My opinion is that it doesn't. Just like it didn't matter that we fought for twenty years in Afghanistan. I don't view these as existential problems as it relates to the Illinois or Iowa farmer or the accountant in Chicago, the banker in New York, or the programmer in San Francisco. Don't get me wrong, I recognize these are existential problems for the Ukrainian farmer and the others. I'm just not convinced that America's finger on the scale makes a whole lot of difference. It's just different people dying.

Replies: