I was with most of your post until the last paragraph
by DBCooper (2024-02-06 16:03:44)

In reply to: Did you really expect something more substantial?  posted by gregmorrissey

I think it matters alot if Russia takes over Ukraine. Do you think Putin stops there? If you do then, yeah it probably doesn’t matter a lot to the common US citizen except for theoretical issues with us not helping out. But, if you don’t think Putin stops there, as I don’t, the next steps are the really scary ones. Does he go after Moldova next or does he feel the Baltic states, or Finland or Poland, deserve a lesson?

If China takes over Taiwan there is a very real path it could lead to a worldwide Great Depression , forget about the possible war that develops if we decide to defend Taiwan. But either way I think it does matter to the US citizen.

Again with Gaza it depends on the next steps. If Israel decimated Gaza does Iran finally get off the toilet and get personally involved. Do other Arab nations? Will it touch our shores by terrorists fighting for Islam? For better or worse we are always connected to Israel in the eyes of most of the Arab world. If Israel goes too far, and I don’t know what that line is, but if they do we will probably face the consequences of it as well.

I think the world is much more connected than you suggest and just because it hasn’t appeared like that for a few decades doesn’t mean it’s not ready to ignite in an instant. Depends on the catalyst I imagine.

Replies: