Partially/mostly an antagonistic point to spur discussion
by gregmorrissey (2024-02-06 17:17:00)

In reply to: I was with most of your post until the last paragraph  posted by DBCooper

I had various versions of that paragraph including one discussing the complex web of interests, and just like dealing with an actual spider web, the deft touch it requires to keep the whole thing intact. I ultimately decided to go with what I did because it likely represents a lot Americans' feelings, and I thought it was enough of a stance (hopefully without coming across a complete idiot) to provide plenty of room for good discussion in the counterpoint.

With regards to Putin/Russia and Ukraine, I'm supportive of our current approach. I'm not in favor of our escalation with American troops. Nor am I in favor of stopping the aid to Ukraine. To EC's point, I don't think there's much more for Putin to do beyond Ukraine. If he pushes into a NATO country then our response should be immediate and unforgiving.

For China/Taiwan and Israel/Gaza, I'm more on the side of "can American intervention attempts really change anything?". So, it's less about does the whole thing actually matter and more does our response actually matter. If China decides to invade Taiwan then there's nothing we can do about it. We're an ocean away, and our citizenry just doesn't care. Sure, they'll be affected, maybe terribly affected, but they certainly won't think it could have been stopped.