When Nikki Haley has to request Secret Service
by Kali4niaND (2024-02-07 12:03:24)

In reply to: Sadly, you are correct  posted by mintirish

protection, because she's being threatened by Trump supporters, the problem just isn't Trump. It's the MAGA contingent. They're driving the Republican nomination process at all levels of government and winning election in just about any electoral district with a GOP majority.

How will that change if Trump is gone?

I think the argument is that Trump is a uniquely charismatic
by ocnd  (2024-02-07 16:20:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

leader who makes MAGA a contingent, and not the other way around. That there isn't anyone who can carry the torch as he had.

I think the jury is still out, here. But it is kind of hard to imagine the following people unite MAGA after Trump has a massive grabber:

- Ted Cruz
- JD Vance
- Josh Hawley
- Tom Cotton
- Don Jr.

I mean, maybe Tucker Carlson?

It is a good argument. That said, the MAGA contingent ...
by barney68  (2024-02-07 17:12:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is there and it's staying there. It's controlling the House, twisting it into strange positions that have little to do with governing and lots to do with individual showboating.

The Senate has a bill that gives the GOP most of what it's been demanding for the border for years if not decades (based on quotes in the Post, I haven't read the bill) and it's "Dead on arrival" in the House according to the Speaker.

Given the reality of mortality, Trump will go away. MAGA will not and, while Trump may be the charisma, there are a lot of others fanning the flames that MAGA loves. Musk, Bannon, the list goes on and on because there is a lot of money in it.

People hate losing
by AquinasDomer  (2024-02-07 17:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If Trump loses again then I think that takes some air out of the MAGA movement. Haley can come back and say "told ya so" in 4 years. If they nominate him or a Tucker/Vivek character then the movement probably needs to lose at least one more time.

Trump has never lost.
by NDBass  (2024-02-07 20:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He won't lose this year, either. He might not move back into the White House in 2025, but it won't be because he lost the election. It will be because it was stolen from him again.

Eventually, the GOP must either shrink to its MAGA ...
by barney68  (2024-02-07 17:57:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

core or have a "come to Jesus" moment in which they conclude that the only way to avoid that is for the non-MAGA contingent to stand for something and drive the MAGA out.

I fear it's too late to save the GOP from itself. That leaves terrifying possibilities staring us in the face, including a totally dominant Democratic Party.

He relishes the losses. It's a badge of courage.
by Revue Party  (2024-02-07 17:51:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

As Jonah Goldberg pointed out, he chooses spectacular failures over partial accomplishments.

Reagan famously said, "I'd rather get 80% of what I want than go off the cliff with my flag flying."

Trump is all about the flag flying and the injustice of losing. He's above the law. He's above democracy. Losing just bolsters his argument of the uselessness of these pesky things.