Trump is the product not the cause of the current Republican
by wpkirish (2024-02-07 13:05:31)

In reply to: Sadly, you are correct  posted by mintirish

Party.

The party leaders and elected officials have been given multiple chances to walk away from Trump for reasons ranging from the Access Hollywood Tape to Storny Daniels to his election lies to January 6th to being found liable for sexual abuse of a woman to any number of other items. Every time they have refused or if they tried to move on like Kevin McCarthy or Lindsey Graham they quickly reversed course.

I think Donald Trump is a horrible human being (to be kind) for a host of reasons. However, he is a master of marketing and the art of the con. I think the ability to understand what your target auduence wants is the common skill in both marketing and being a con man.

Trump did what he always does he sold people on what they wanted. With the Trump "brand" he was selling the illusion of class and glamour. With his political campaign he sold them the illusion he would fight for them and make their lives better.

The party needs to stop being anti-government and at least return to small government. The party needs to accept the legitimacy of the Democrats and their elections and negotiate in good faith. Hell the response from the Bipartisan Border fiasco is Senators calling for Mitch McConnell to resign as Senate Minority Leader.

No secret I am a Democrat but I believe a two party system that believes in the legitimacy of our government is far better than what we have now. However, the end of Trump will not miraculously cause Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley or JD Vance or a host of others to return the party to its prior form. They have become far too reliant on Maga voters and speaking the truth them will be too painful. The end of Trump will not cause people like Jesse Waters to suddenly admit that Taylor Swift is not the product of a deep state psy ops campaign to destroy America and the Republican Party.

The only way for the Republican party to put Trumpism in the rear view mirror for good is to tell their voters the truth. I have no illusions they will do that even Haley cant bring herself to do it. What I am unsure about is the future of the nation if they are unable to do it.

Replies: