Most certainly not.
by IAND75 (2024-02-08 17:45:45)

In reply to: So the reason Trump would be prosecuted and Biden not...  posted by El Kabong

Trump’s main offense is obstruction of justice.

He refused to cooperate. He directly defied a subpoena. He actively hid the documents from federal agents.

Had he said, “Oops, my bad.” And turned over the documents when they were first requested there would never have been any issue.

They aren’t in any way comparable.

I wouldn't say they are uncomparable...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-02-08 17:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...They aren't identical or substantially similar overall, because there are aspects of each case that are very materially distinguishable.

I'm not saying that Biden couldn't be prosecuted once out of office. Petraeus pled to a misdemeanor with a few years of probation and a nominal fine.

Mike Pence also might be in the ambit of Petraeus's "one count of unauthorized removal and retention of classified material," as it is fair, I think, to assume that the way classified documents got to Pence's house in Indiana was that Pence brought them there--whether by mistake or not, that would be "unauthorized removal"; and by keeping them there, "retention."

As far as I can tell, neither Biden nor Pence lied to the FBI about their use of the materials, as Petraeus apparently did, so the latter's case would merit a somewhat greater penalty.

I agree with you
by El Kabong  (2024-02-08 17:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

So charge him with obstruction and that's it, while making the reasons for that charge clear.

Regardless, the committee would have been better served without the "he's just a nice old man who loves old documents" part of it.