Lost in the back n forth is this
by novadamer (2024-02-08 20:37:50)

In reply to: The Biden Classified Materials Report is Out.  posted by EricCartman

Listen, I agree with the special counsel's findings about not prosecuting, and the reason put forward. The inequity between the Trump and Biden cases is something for DOJ and the courts to weigh in on. I think Kabong is right that DOJ best drop Trump's case down to obstruction, but we'll see.

Part of Biden's personal defense is he is a national security professional. He has said--and still maintains--he takes classified information very seriously. And he declaims Trump for not doing so.

Read chapters three and four of the report. Chapter 3 details the repeated problems WH staff had with Biden and classified information as Vice President. To whit: leaving classified info out in his residence, and making off with classified docs which were never later recovered. His staff gets burned for it, they make several efforts to constrain him, but it keeps on happening.

Chapter four details his private notecards and notebook, which become an issue toward the end of his VP status. He takes notes during classified briefings, including the PDB. He knows they are classified. He makes it clear he views the notes as personal, as in mine, not USG records. Biden objects, not wanting to go to the archive everyday. He is told otherwise. He eventually relents and keeps them stored in a safe at home, and some go to the archives. But he keeps his notebook, which he brags to his ghostwriter "They don't even know I have this." Note that none of this happened to Biden as a "kindly old man."

Why does this matter? I saw plenty of national security officials who followed all the rules (most do), and it was very inconvenient for them. I also saw some who decided they were bigger than the rules, and just did what they wanted. Biden always claimed--and still does--he is one of the first group. It is clear from the report he is in the second group, same as his nemesis Donald J. Trump.