The most disastrous non Trump foreign policy
by AquinasDomer (2024-02-09 12:12:52)

In reply to: I'd argue from an international perspective things  posted by krudler

Was Bush by a long shot. The reaction to 911 vis a vis Iraq screwed us up foreign policy wise. Had he kept his powder dry ziran would be boxed in and we'd have had the bandwidth to be more decisive countering Russia as it was expanding.

Honestly, I think we needed out of Afganistan. Had we stayed we'd have needed a surge. Things were quiet because of Trump's truce and the Afgan national forces needed a lot of help. Given manning shortages the op tempo is actually quite high now with Ukraine going on. If we had a bunch of boots on the ground in Afganistan it wouldn't be pretty.

He also executed Ukraine's support well. His current issue is MAGA sabotaging US interests to serve glorious leader.

He's also gotten more buy in from China's neighbors in aligning with us (Phillipines and Vietnam mainly)

He's also played the Israel situation as well as he could. He's applying pressure to Bibi in a manner and at a time to mitigate the humanitarian disaster and be able to push Israel to stop at some point when they're clearly spinning their wheels.

I can see preferring someone like Hsley who's competent and more traditional GOP/hawkish making decisions.

As to Trump, the potential for self inflicted disasters like NATO withdrawal, starting trade wars w allies, giving China chip tech as a reward for a meaningless trade deal, attacking Mexico unilaterally over Fentanyl etc. Are terrifying. As PJ Orourke said of Hillary "She's wrong about absolutely everything, but she's wrong within normal parameters."

I think people really underestimate the damage Trump can do with only sycophants and no adults advising him on national security.

Replies: