When I read "serious national security threat",
by BeijingIrish (2024-02-14 12:53:54)

In reply to: House Permanent Select Intelligence Committee has  posted by Barrister

my first thought is "first strike capability". I'm all for destabilizing them.

News in last 48 hrs of 1st Russian hypersonic missile strike
by shawno3  (2024-02-14 15:27:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

…in Ukraine. Could just be a coincidence but proof of concept of a Mach 9 hypersonic missile capability that was originally developed for sea-based launch could be the type of destabilizing first strike capability you mention. If it can be successfully launched from subs with a range of 625 miles (as reported in the linked article), a lot of U.S. cities and other targets could be in the crosshairs.

When I refer to first strike, I refer to us.
by BeijingIrish  (2024-02-14 16:36:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Why wait, why take the risk? That’s why we have them. To use them.

Whoops. *
by shawno3  (2024-02-14 16:49:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Here's CNN's article on it, which includes:
by Barrister  (2024-02-14 12:58:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

"One of the sources who has seen the intelligence confirmed that 'it is, in fact, a highly concerning and destabilizing' Russian capability 'that we were recently made aware of.'"