Start taxing companies with shitty pay.
by OITLinebacker (2024-02-20 10:04:15)

In reply to: Focus on Medicare and Medicaid  posted by Kayo

Suppose a company with over 1000 employees is making a profit, and their employees need federal assistance to live. In that case, the company should pay some hefty taxes on those profits or pay their employees a wage to get those employees off the federal/state dole. I'm tired of Walmart, Amazon, and their ilk making massive profits and not paying much (if any taxes) and paying their employees so poorly that the rest of us have to pick up the slack on our taxes.

I would also argue for an extra 10% (or higher%) tax on any C-suite or board that earns more than 100x (could hear an argument for a lower number) than their lowest-paid employee. I would include income from all sources not just compensation for the particular company as I know many people at that level sit on multiple boards and get paid in multiple streams so they can hide some of it. An example is that Bezos could give a 100k raise to every employee and he would still have more money than he did 4 years ago. No reason why any of employees should be earning below the poverty line and no reason why they would have to raise prices by a single penny to do so.