Theres a proposal here in FL to eliminate property tax
by JBrock18 (2024-02-20 10:06:00)

In reply to: PBR Poll on Possible Federal Revenue Enhancements....  posted by Raoul

The proposal is to replace that revenue with increased sales tax and "sin taxes"

I assume figuring out how to distribute the revenues is a roadblock. I have no idea if this would ever have a chance of passing but as a resident of Palm Beach County who pays very high property taxes in my area, it intrigues me somewhat.

How are Florida real estate taxes used?
by wpkirish  (2024-02-20 12:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

In Illinois about half the real estate tax bill goes to the local school district so any effort to change the property taxes impacts how much money local schools will have. Even if the change is revenue "neutral" you are going to change who is paying and the individual "payment" will now be going to help a broader community so likely means a reduction in spending for higher spending districts.

All of which means real change (which we could use) is difficult if not impossible.

Fund schools, infrastructure, libraries, medical services
by JBrock18  (2024-02-20 14:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Whatever new sales taxes they levied would presumably do the same from what I gathered.

Thanks *
by wpkirish  (2024-02-20 17:47:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

This was floating in Texas too
by Irish_Texan  (2024-02-20 10:51:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

During the last gubernatorial election, one of the candidates was proposing to abolish property tax. Texas, just as Florida, already has no income tax, so his proposal had a hard time evening out the revenue.