I still think it’s wrong
by vermin05 (2024-02-21 19:00:27)

In reply to: Interestingly, I had very much the opposite take.  posted by Tex Francisco

The embryos created for this procedure are only created for this procedure they would not exist without it. Is there a really crummy capture rate? Yup, but a small percent at life sure beats no chance. To co-opt an argument usually used by the abortion crowd, what if that baby was the next Mozart, Nelson Mandela or Einstein?

And in case you were wondering my stance, I think IVF likely provides a window into how many embryos fail to embed in the uterus. While never studied in vivo, if IVF success rate is 35-40% I think it’s fair to assume that naturally it’s probably right around 50% success rate for implantation. Post implantation, odds of a birth shoots way up. If that’s true and you believe life begins at conception then you believe our creator kills half of all life when it’s nothing but a ball of cells. I don’t believe that, personally, and with zero scientific proof, I think life begins at implantation and something metaphysical happens when mother and child first touch. But that’s just my opinion.